Chapter 44.

Devon was looking at Papa square in the eye with an expression foreign to my knowledge and my father looked back at him with the most frighteningly solemn face that I've seen of him. My stomach was churning grossly making it the worst unusual kind of panic and restlessness I've ever been through.

How many megawatts of Herculean strength do I require to drag Devon away before he opens his rash mouth?

"Sir," spoke Devon, "Ma'am," he turned to Katherine, "Pleasure to meet you both."

Well, that was good.

Papa rubbed his temple with his index finger. Clear sign of his being stressed.

"I can tell my daughter is absolutely crazy about you but I'm intrigued as to why do most of the people here at this party seem like they'd rather not want you here."

Fucking shit.

But Devon stayed eerily calm at that remark. "People easily believe what they see and what they hear. But one must never forget that the actual truth is known only to the few, right Eleanor?"

Somehow I wasn't able to move my jaws when Devon looked at me. If I wasn't not imagining things then a fleeting look of tremor crossed Katherine's face. No wonder Devon's insinuating blunt tongue managed to shock her.

"I'd like to speak to you further in private about this, Devon," said Papa in a grim tone.

"After you, Sir," responded Devon calmly.

My stomach weaved itself into an uneasy knot as I watched the two of them walk away with Devon following Papa. This doesn't look good to me at all. I'm not sure where things will stand when I see both of them next.

"So, bad boy, huh?" Katherine remarked, reminding me of her presence.

I didn't know what to say so I kept quiet.

"Don't worry, hun, fathers tend to be extra cautious when the boy dating their daughter is overly attractive," said Katherine lightly.

Again the word 'hun' coming from her made me feel uncomfortable.

"I can't live without him..." I said anxiously to myself, waiting for them to show up.

"Ofcourse, Devon's got the looks."

"Or maybe, I like him because of the person that he is and not just his looks unlike some people out here," I snapped in reflex and then instantly froze realizing how rude it sounded.

"I-I'm so sorry...I'm really sorry," I mumbled nervously.

"Relax, Eleanor," she said kindly. "I didn't mind at all. Was just trying to pull your leg. I'm sorry if you're hurt."

I felt so shitty about the whole thing that I couldn't look her in the eye.

"Eleanor!!"

I looked sideways to see none other than Jackson racing upto me.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! My wish to God is to give lots of presents to you!" Jackson jumped up and down with a beaming face and little eyes twinkling bright like stars.

"Thank you so much baby," I giggled, bending down to give him a long bear hug. "but it's not my birthday."

"But you're looking so beautiful!"

"And you're looking very handsome today," I said, pulling his soft cheeks,

Jackson gave me a lovely greeting card that he had made for me which was honestly so cute and extremely sweet of him.