Chapter 32.

Instagram: rashmita_b

Devon could practically win over any argument. Everybody knew that. Thus it came as no surprise when Devon was picked by the Speech and Drama Sir for an Interschool Debate Championship. Thus, he didn't come to school that day.

As I stepped in the campus with my friends, people around gave me strange looks. I knew something was terribly wrong for sure. But it was only when the whispers reached my ears than I came to know how bad it was....

"She cheated on Luke with Devon."

"She must have wanted to get dirty with Devon but didn't want to let go of Luke too. Such a shameless bitch she is!"

"She will leave Devon if she finds a better option than him. Such a filthy whore!"

"The worst part is she pretends to be a simple and innocent girl. Such a fake she is!"

"I wonder how such hot boys are even attracted to her 'cause frankly, she hasn't got the looks nor the body."

"I look way better with Devon than how this slutty bimbo looks with him."

"Luke is such a nice guy! She doesn't deserve him anyway."

I tried so hard to ignore every nasty thing that was being said about me but it was like they wouldn't let me breathe in peace for even a moment. Everywhere I went, in the coridoors, people were pinpointing, giving me looks of disgust and hate and bitching about me loud enough for me to hear.

It was only during classes I wasn't attacked with harsh comments.

I was even scared of going to the restroom 'cause some girls were so horrible to me that I was reduced to tears.

Everyone in school had come to know about Devon and me. Someone had secretly taken an intimate picture of Devon and me and leaked it which quickly went viral. Fake stories were spread too and everyone seemed to believe it.

It wasn't in the least difficult to guess the face behind such a low act.

Kelly.

And she didn't even bother to make it appear less obvious. She was the happiest of all at my plight. She smirked at me evilly every time she saw someone verbally abusing me....

Luke, as expected, didn't bother to clear the wind. He pretended as though everything that was being said was true.

"How can people be so vile! This is insane," said Josh in disgust during break time.

"It's alright! I don't care what people talk about me anyway," I said.

"Eleanor, we know you're very much affected by this shit. But everything will be fine again," said Stef, clenching her fists tight.

"No, I'm serious. It's no big deal. I can handle it," I insisted.

"But---"

"No, Adam. You guys have already done a lot for me. I don't want to get you all in this mess. Please!"

I had a tough time convincing them and finally they agreed to let things be as they were, albeit reluctantly.

I was purposely heading late to class so as to find the corridors empty and deserted. As I was about to round the corner, I heard voices from the adjacent hallway.

I peered from behind the wall and I saw a girl blocking Devon's path and desperately trying to get all over him. His back was towards me as he stood facing her.

"Get Lost," Devon gritted his teeth coldly.

"What's wrong with your choices?" the girl asked in frustration and desperation. "What does Eleanor have that I don't?? I'm way better than her in every sense! Try me! Leave that bland nitwit!"

I saw Devon's hands that were dropped to his sides form harsh fists.

"You're lucky that you are still breathing after saying that about my girlfriend," his tone was acid, "How dare you compare your dirty self to Eleanor in the same breath?!!"

Then he said something so bad and insulting to her that I better not mention it.

The girl looked scared seeing his raging temper. She stomped her foot and walked away.

Devon turned around and his eyes met mine. It was then I realized that I wasn't really behind the wall as I thought I was. He was initially startled seeing me there but then his smoldering eyes grew intense as he began to advance towards me.

My heart pounded with every of his step. The way his eyes penetrated deep into my dazed ones knocked the wind out of me. I knew he could read my pain the same way I could feel his. He knew everything that was going on in school.

Devon cupped my face and kissed me hard. His mouth moved aggressively over mine in ways I didn't know were possible. I was breathless, he caressed my lips ever so fiercely that it made my body shudder.

"I'm gonna silence all the fucks who speak a damn word against you, against us," he growled with dark passion as he left my swollen lips.

"No, you're not gonna defend me," I said, looking at me seriously.

"Why not?" argued Devon, dropping his hands to his sides again. "Those assholes need to be taught that humans fucking don't do that to each other."

"If you speak up for me, it will only add to the nasty gossip," I tried to make him understand. "You just can't control what people think and say."

"If you know that, why are you letting their words bother you?" he countered. "It's not worth it. Don't let their dogshit get to you."

"I know, Devon. I know I shouldn't let it affect me. I'm trying so hard but somehow I'm not able to do it," I admitted gloomily. "Guess it's easier said than done...."

"No. It's very easy to ignore the crap that people talk about you. You honestly don't require any efforts to do that," he chuckled dryly.

I rolled my eyes. "It might be easy for you, but not for me. Just like being polite to others comes easily to me and not to you? Got it?" I taunted him.

"Got it," he muttered, giving me a look.

I giggled at his grumpy face. He makes me feel so good even when I'm not...

"I didn't expect you at school today. How was the debate?" I asked.

"It was fuck all," responded Devon nonchalantly, "I won. Because everyone who argued with me was a douche. Except that one guy, he was a scum."

"Ohh...." Nothing to add.