Chapter 33.

Instagram: rashmita_b

Jackson had accidentally tripped down the staircase and suffered serious injuries in the head. For the next three days, he was in a critical condition in the hospital. Cheryl looked very much at distress and worry and I felt sad for Mr. Parker who came across as extremely pale and much older than he was.

It was finally when Jackson regained consciousness than I began easing out of all the anxiety and dread that was bottled up within me. I visited the kid everyday. It was disheartening to see the little boy lying on thr hospital bed with a bandaged head. But I cheered him up as much as I could. I even brought Roald Dahl books to read out to him in Cheryl or Mr. Parker's presence. I was happy that I could bring a smile on Jackson's face and lessen some of his miseries.

But Devon didn't accompany me in any of these visits. I assumed that he'd be checking on Jackson separately when no one was around. And l was okay with it if that was how he wanted to be a caring and good brother to the kid without letting me know about those qualities of his.

But that morning when I went to visit Jackson, I understood how much of what I was supposing to be true was actually true.

Jackson was sound asleep when I entered. I persuaded a tired looking Mr. Parker to have some refreshment while I was there. After he left, I took a stool and sat on it by the bedside near Jackson's head. After a certain while, Jackson squirmed a little before opening his small baby eyes to blink at me.

"Hey how are you, champ?" I asked softly.

Jackson glanced at the door and then back at me. "I'm fine, Eleanor. Did you come alone?" he asked as though he was expecting someone else with me.

"Yes," I said.

"Oh..." he said, lowering his gazes in disappointment.

"What happened, Jackson?" I asked fondly. "Are you missing your mother? She is on her way here."

Tears welled up in his eyes and rolled down his temples.

"Jackson don't cry, baby," I whispered, trying to pacify him. "You're a miracle child. Jesus saved you and He wouldn't want you to cry..."

"Wh...Where is Devon?" Jackson sobbed silently. "Wh...Why didn't he come to visit me even once? Everyday I wait for him to come but he never comes. It's been so long since I've seen him, have talked to him...please tell him to come over once. P...Please tell him I'm really sorry if I've upset h-him in anyw--"

He was crying again. I was left brutally shocked at what I just heard.

"I don't know what is happening..." he hiccupped. "Mom tells me Devon is bad....but I know he is not. Never Ever."

It was heartening to see such a strong conviction in the little kid.

"I just wish he comes to see me..." Jackson said gloomily.

I took his soft little hands into mine and held them in assurance. "I'm gonna bring Devon here to visit you."

"You will?" he asked, a ray of hope shone in his sad eyes.

"I will. That's a promise," I said.

Jackson's baby lips curled up into a bright smile. And I didn't want it to wither away anymore.

I got back to the neighborhood in a disturbed state. I still couldn't believe what I heard. The only question that was making me restless and anxious was 'Why?'. Why wasn't Devon reaching out to Jackson? This was so unlike Devon. There has to be some reason behind him keeping away from the brother he loved the most. I couldn't help but feel hurt that Devon didn't feel like sharing his apprehensions with me. But then again, I didn't have the right to feel hurt....