Chapter 43.1

Instagram: rashmita_b

Because Papa wanted to catch up with all his friends in the neighborhood, he had thrown a small house party the following day. Josh and Adam came with their respective parents. Stef was there was her mom. It was good to see Gran in such a happy mood as she interacted with the guests who were stepping in. Katherine hadn't come downstairs for the party. And when I randomly looked around while talking to Josh's mom, Papa, who was around just a minute back, was now nowhere to be seen.

I excused myself and headed upstairs to my father's room. But I stopped short outside the room upon overhearing the conversation between Papa and Katherine.

"....like really?" Papa was saying, "Do you really plan to hole yourself up in this room this whole evening until the guests leave?"

"Yes! And that's the right thing to do, Eron," responded Katherine. "I don't think Eleanor likes me. I don't want to upset her anymore by being at this party."

"No, you won't," I said, stepping on the doorway, "I, uh, would be happy if you come to the party. Moreover, It's not like I've thrown this party, Papa has. So you should be there."

"No I..." Katherine hesitated but I interrupted her.

"If you stay locked up in this room the whole time for my sake, I'd feel really guilty. I already am because of what happened this afternoon. I want to make up for it. So please come downstairs and have a good time," I said in a sombre tone and then walked out of the room.

Papa and Katherine came downstairs holding hands a couple of minutes after I rejoined the party. Soon everybody started talking about her. My father went about introducing his girlfriend with them making small talks with every guest.

I just wasn't feeling right about the sudden winds of change that had touched down uninvited into my life. Made me feel like I didn't belong here anymore. It was as though everything I had grown to be fond of was brutally snatched away and shredded into pieces within seconds.

There were smiling faces all around me and it was devastating that I couldn't even get myself to put up a fake smile...

"Devon, where are you? What's taking you so long?!" I spoke on the phone, struggling to battle the emptiness within.

"I'm on my way. Well, almost..." he trailed off, sounding clumsy. "I, uh, am, well, tying my shoe laces...."

I grew wide eyed and then did a face palm. He will definitely be here in hundred years. Nothing to worry.

"Just—Just come fast. I'm not feeling good here...." I said sadly.

"What's the matter? Are you okay?" he asked, his tone alert now.

"You will see for yourself. Just hurry up please,"

As I ended the phone class with Devon, Josh and Stef walked upto me from behind.

"Man, Katherine is hot," said Josh with a sheepish smile on his face, "She may be forty but she looks like a sexy girl in her twenties."

"Cut it out, Josh," drawled Stef.

"Hey, so do I tell Eleanor that you find her dad smoking hot?" smirked Josh.

Stef's eyes nearly popped out hearing that. "There's nothing like that okay!" she snapped, visibly mortified.

Josh snickered. "Really? Because I once heard you blabber in a daze that he is so charming, so handsome and looks younger that his age."

"Josh, I'll kill you!" Stef glared at him. Josh laughed.