Chapter 11.1

"Josh, there's something that is bothering you. What is it?" I told him when we were walking on the streets of Crawford Lane. The four of us had been to the neighborhood cafe where we celebrated Stef and Adam with pizzas, garlic breads and coke but I could sense Josh's low spirits beneath the layer of his grinning face.

"There's nothing like that! What could possibly bother me except the fear of finding empty boxes of Ferrero Rocher chocolates in your freezer?" he joked.

"Josh, I know you're upset about something," I asked quietly. "Are you not pleased about Stef and Adam being a couple now?"

"Alright," Josh exhaled a breath, "It's not like I'm not happy with them being a couple, I truly am. Still....I cannot help but think that if at all something goes terribly wrong in their relationship, the special bond that the four of us share might be lost forever....I know I shouldn't be thinking like this but I-I don't want to lose you guys....I never had had friends before the three of you 'cause no one took me seriously...."

Damn. When a guy like Josh who always goofs around speaks about something serious and emotional, it sounds really depressing.

"Cheer up, dude!" I told him, "The four of us are gonna be best friends forever. And nothing can ever change that."

"Thanks," he smiled a small smile. "And I won't think of this crap anymore."

We parted ways at a turn after which I was walking all by myself. As I passed the kid's area on my left hand side, I spotted Devon's kid brother Jackson playing with a red ball.

I haven't really spoken to Jackson anytime yet but I've seen him around. He is a really sweet boy with black eyes shining with curiosity every time, his round pink baby face, cute little nose and a smile on his baby lips that could light up anybody's day! And his cheeks I tell you! You'd want to pull it all day! Such a cutie pie!

I really hope Jackson doesn't grow up to be like his elder brother. That'd be a great disaster.

Let's hope for the best.

But for now, time to make a really good conversation with this little one. With a wide smile on my face, I walked inside the park and towards him. Jackson didn't notice me approaching him. He was now slowly bouncing the ball up and down when suddenly, within moments, tears flooded his little eyes and gushed down his cheeks.

I grew ashen faced seeing him him cry in despair.

"Jackson!" I rushed towards him.

"What happened? Why are you crying?" I said, getting down on my knees in front of him.

"N-Nothing," he hiccuped, using his baby fists to rub his eyes.

"Tell me, Jackson, is there someone or something troubling you?" I mollified him softly." Don't cry. You can tell me, you know."

"I-I can't tell you...."he said in a low voice, his gazes dropping to the ground.

I had opened my mouth to speak when....

"Jackson!"

The sharp voice from behind boomed in my ears, taking both the kid and me off guard. I got to my feet and turned around to see a stony faced Devon with his emotionless eyes fixed upon Jackson....

Jackson was hiding behind me now while peeking at Devon. I could tell that the kid was petrified.

"Come over here, Jackson. Now," ordered Devon curtly. I could feel Jackson's tiny form grow stiff behind me.

Devon turned his eyes on me. "And you're supposed to stay away from him."

"Who are you to tell me what I'm supposed do and what I am not?" I shot back. "If there's one person I should stay away from, it is only you."

"Get over here, Jackson. What's taking you so long?" shouted Devon mercilessly.

"For God's sake, Devon!" I said, appalled. "Be soft on him! Can't you see he's crying?"

"No one wants your opinion, Eleanor. It's between me and him. Stay out of it," Devon retorted.

I was taken aback completely. Devon had never spoken to me like this ever before. And I don't understand why he was being so hard with his own brother!

"What did you do to him that he is so scared of you?" I demanded sharply

"Even if I've been hard on him, he deserves it anyway," replied Devon impassively.

I was too shocked for words at that sadistic outlook of his.

"Let's go, Jackson. Or do you want me to drag you along with me? Trust me, I won't hesitate to do that," said Devon callously.

And then, Jackson stepped out from behind me and walked towards Devon with short, timid steps. I felt terrible to see the frightened look on the kid's face.

"You don't have to go, Jackson, if you don't want to," I said softly.

"Really?" snickered Devon. "Let me remind you he lives in the same house as me, which is pretty much unfortunate, but true nonetheless."

Devon grabbed Jackson by the hand who winced slightly.

"Stop being so harsh on him!He is your brother, Devon!" I said critically.

"He's not," said Devon flatly. "He's just someone's big filthy mistake. He wasn't even supposed to be in this world on the first place."

I felt anger throbbing my pulses at his foul attitude. My hate for Devon had crossed all limits.

"He is a kid, Devon!! What grudge can you possible have with a six year old kid that you're treating him so cruelly?" I said fiercely. "What is Jackson's fault if he is born against your wishes?You can't be human if you don't know how to treat a baby."

Devon's expressions remained unchanged. He wasn't affected by any of my words. He still had that cold, unreadable face. He then turned around and started to walk out of the park, tugging Jackson behind him.

I couldn't just stand there and watch their backs fading off my vision. God knows what's Devon gonna do with Jackson. I opened my mouth to call out but then Jackson looked over his shoulder at me with a pleading look. He gave me a small, sad smile meant to assure everything's gonna be fine.

And for his sake, I knew I had to keep quiet for now.