Chapter 43

I felt so overwhelmingly---weird (if that's even the word I was feeling) from the top of my head to the tips of my toes that it was surprising how my feet were able to keep my twitching body steady in front of my father and his girlfriend.

So much for being ridiculously unprepared for this shock---or surprise. I don't know what it is anymore.

"Eleanor," my father spoke, breaking the dead silence following the new woman's arrival, "She's Katherine. We met a month ago while I was at a business conclave in Scotland."

"How are you doing, Eleanor?" she asked affably, not in a British but in an American accent, "Your Papa has been telling me a lot about you. So good to have finally met you sweetheart!"

The words 'Your Papa' and 'sweetheart' felt so foreign when it came from her. I didn't really like anyone else except my close ones using those words with me.

"Erm....yeah, thanks, "I smiled awkwardly. "Good to see you too," I quickly added, not wanting to sound unwelcomely.

"Eron," she turned to my father," Your daughter is beautiful."

"Told you," Papa smiled at her and was that a lump in his throat if I was not mistaken?

"Would you mind if I hug you, Eleanor?" asked Katherine, turning to me again.

Yeah I would because you're in way too much of a hurry to show my father that you're very friendly with his daughter. "Yeah, sure," I said.

Katherine gave me a bear hug but my hands continued to remain dropped to my sides. I really wished she gets done with her hug asap because it was making me feel devastatingly uncomfortable. I breathed in relief when she finally did pull herself back.

"And she's my mom," Papa smiled, looking over at Gran who has been stood at a distance all this while and silently witnessing everything.

"Nice to meet you too," said Katherine, her bubbly smile waning a little. Probably she was aware of Gran's grim stance regarding her. "Hope you're doing great." she added.

"I? Ha! I'm jolly just like I've been all these years," exclaimed Gran, "Tell us about your background, won't you?"

Katherine stole a somewhat uneasy glance at Papa. When she spoke next, the smile was gone and her voice was quiet and solemn, "I'm a divorcee in my personal life and an interior designer by profession."

"Mom, can we have this conversation later on?" smiled Papa reluctantly.

"I'm so sorry!" apologized Gran in regret," This should be none of my business whatsoever. You guys must be tired. Please make yourself comfortable in here, Katherine, I will get some refreshments."

Gran hurried in the kitchen. I wanted to move out of the scene too but judging it to look rude on the face, I stayed back.

As I sat down on the sofa with them, Papa and I got talking jumping from one topic to another. Katherine, eager to make herself a part of every conversation, piped in more number of times than I would have liked her to. It was really annoying. Wish she wasn't there at all.

Like while Papa was telling me about his England visit, she nosed into that too which was honestly so irritating. I seriously wished Papa narrated the instances that took place before he met Katherine but sadly, that never happened.

"So, Eleanor," said Papa, "I believe I've a boy to meet. Devon is the name, right?"

A blush crept into my cheek with the mention and I just couldn't help it.

"Yeah, he is coming over at tomorrow's party," I said, smiling, "We like each other a lot."

Speaking about Devon made me feel at ease for the first time ever since the arrival of my father's girlfriend.

"This is all so exciting!" Katherine clipped in. "So eager to meet your boyfriend, Eleanor."

"Uh, Thanks..." I said.

"Just want to make sure that boy is good enough for my daughter to spend time with," my father said in a grave tone.

An uneasy tickle ran down the back of my neck. Hope Papa wouldn't be affected by Devon's notorious reputation in the neighborhood...

Katherine wrapped a hand around Papa's arm and said, "Eron, the boy will surely be amazing."

Yeah he was but in an unconventional way if that even made sense.

"Anyway, Eleanor, hope you will like all of these presents," Papa said. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that currently an overwhelming number of presents were sitting all over the living room.

"It's all from Katherine to you," he added, smiling, "She's got a wonderful taste unlike me! Sure you'll love each of it."

"So she basically wants to buy me with these superficial stuff? Is that how she thinks she can make you like her more?"

The words came out much before I could even process them in my mind. And by the time I realized my tone was ridiculing and harsh, it was too late.

The worse kind of silence followed the one that could make your bones dead.

"I'm—I'm really sorry....that--that came out wrong....I didn't mean it that way...This is not how my father raised me, I-I swear," I gulped.

"It's--It's okay, relax darling," assured Katherine softly.

I dropped my gazes on my lap and continued, "I am sorry. I-I don't like presents unless it comes from someone really special to me. I never take presents on my birthdays too because that day is dedicated to my mother. She died while giving birth to me and Papa loves---loved her a lot. But thanks for the gifts anyway."

I rose to my feet and left the room, knowing that my 'Being-Devon-and-talking-frank' had screwed up pretty much everything.

***