Chapter 29.

instagram: rashmita_b  

It was cool and breezy up there on the picturesque hill that lay on the backdrop of Crawford Lane when Devon and I got there. It felt like being in totally different world which was bathed in heavenly peace and tranquility under the moonlit black velvety sky where stars glittered like diamonds.

I was wearing white leggings with an aquamarine sweatshirt and white sneakers. I left my hair untied and applied a bit of mascara to my eyes. Devon looked dashing in black pants which he paired with a black buttoned shirt, the sleeves of which were rolled up to his elbows.

It was hard to believe that I had sneaked out of the house at midnight to be with Devon of all people. After all, to name a few in the list, he was the boy who turned my life upside down, he went to jail, people got hospitalized because of him, the neighborhood hated him, Gran strongly disapproved of him.

And yet, I felt fiery butterflies invade every cell of my existence as I sat down on the grass with him. I knew his eyes were on me. I felt so damn conscious that I just wasn't able to look up at him. Right then, it got a bit windy which upset my hair.

I bet I was looking like a she demon. I was struggling to set my tresses when he spoke in a deep lost tone, "You become all the more angelic with your hair scattered like this."

My heart missed a beat and I could feel the crimson rising in my cheeks.

"You're so beautiful, Eleanor, that you make all the fairies, mermaids and princesses from fantasy books seem real to me."

"Devon, stop it!" I said like a silly lovesick teenager that I had become.

Devon let out a chuckle. "See? I too can talk good things like others. Just that I should be inspired enough."

"So...you're not mad at me anymore?"

"One thing the eight hour community service taught me today was to be less cruel. Thus, I've forgiven you for breaking my heart a couple of weeks back," he said in his usual cocky manner. "By the way, did you miss me while I wasn't around?"

My heart skipped a beat in despair 'cause I didn't have the guts to admit the truth to him. "N-No, I didn't."

Devon smirked, leaning closer to me causing a furor under my skin. "Liar, liar, Sanchez On Fire," he whispered deeply, his hot mouth was on my ear.

Holding firmly on to my trembling breaths, I turned my face sideways at him and our noses touched. The heat of his breaths was overwhelming to my senses.

"If you're strongly against people cheating on their partners, don't you think I was cheating on Luke every time I allowed you to get close?" I said, my voice sounding heavy against my ears.

"Our case was different. It wasn't what you'd called cheating," he said nonchalantly.

"Don't you think it's called you being a hypocrite?" I countered.

"No. It's called disagreeing with you," he said matter-of-factly.

My breaths hitched realized our lips were on the verge of colliding. Devon pulled back, the edges of his mouth curling into a lopsided smile.

"That was pretty close, wasn't it?" he said smugly.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah. Pretty close to annoying."

"Glad we started off our date with something that we do best. Ridiculing each other."

I couldn't help but smile.

"Eleanor.." he sounded anxious and gloomy, "I said a lot of things to you that day which I shouldn't have said. It was very wrong of me. I'm sorry."