Chapter 30.1

The following evening I was returning home from a long lonely walk. I couldn't take Devon's absence anymore. A piece of my existence was missing. Unfortunately, a vital piece.

I was just about to walk in through the gates when a car come to a halt outside the house adjacent to mine, Mr. Parker's car.

My heart thudded against my chest in wild anticipation. Is Devon back? Did Mr. Parker manage to bring him back?

I saw Mr. Parker step out from the driver seat of his car. My heart beats piqued. Is Devon there in the car? Will I see him step out of the car too?

It was so difficult to look inside the car through those window glasses. I squinted my eyes but still couldn't be sure if anybody else was there in the car.

Right then, I saw the door of the backseat fall open. All I felt was chaos within me. And then, I saw him emerge out of the car.

Devon Parker was back in Crawford Lane. My heart missed a wild beat.

If you've ever wondered what might be the body language of a rebellious eighteen year old boy, you ought to have seen Devon Parker right then. Fists clenched tight to his sides, stiff physique, those razor sharp eyes spilling dark hostility, taut cheekbones and that hardened jawline. Devon looked squarely Intimidating. And Irresistible.

With his long legs supporting his tall frame, he started to walk towards his house with short, quick steps. He was about to march in through the front door when he stopped abruptly, spun around and the next thing I comprehended his thick blue orbs were penetrating deeper and deeper into mine.

That was more than enough to set my pulses roaring under my flesh. It seemed like ages since I had had his luscious gazes on me. It was evident he was devouring my sight with his eyes. I saw the hostility instantly ebb away from his irises and getting replaced by a blaze of passion.

Instinctively I raced towards him, collided hard against his torso and hugged him tight. Devon stumbled a couple of steps back due to the force. I pressed further against him if that was even possible. God it felt so good feeling him up for real. I cared a damn about Mr. Parker looking at us with gobsmacked expressions.

***

"Not surprising that one hug from you is practically making me worship my fucked up life," spoke Devon, when he sneaked into my garage later that night to meet me. "I've missed you a lot."

I snorted at the irony. "For someone who doesn't mind getting arrested often and is uncooperative with the police, I have to appreciate your audacity to lie. You do---"

The words died down in my throat when I turned sideways to look at him. My breaths froze in panic when my gazes went to the spot below his left elbow.

He was bleeding.

"What....What happened to you?" I breathed, my fingertips running cold in despair.

"This?" Devon asked, looking at the wound as though it was nothing. "I'd got into a bit of an accident. But I'm good."

"Don't give me that 'I'm good' crap," I reprimanded, hurriedly extending my towel handkerchief to him. A thin film of blood was trickling down his forearm making my heart sink.

I felt as if a knife was pushed through my chest when he dabbed his wound with the hanky. It was unbearable. I looked away, wincing.

"Funny that I don't feel any wound 'cause you're feeling all of it," he chuckled ironically.

"You need first aid," I said urgently, returning my gazes to him.

"I'm good. Seriously," he insisted. "The fact that you're pained takes away all of my pain instantly."