Chapter 22.1.

I suddenly grew conscious of my looks as I set a nervous foot in the Parker household with a buzzing Gran and Josh on either side of me. The house looked classy with minimal decoration. I spotted Jackson all decked up in a black suit playing around with other kids on one side of the hall and there were guests interacting with each other over glasses of cocktails.

Gran went off when she spotted someone familiar. Standing alongside Josh, I looked around, scanning everything and everyone who was there and then...I saw Devon who was stood a good distance away. I shouldn't be saying this but he looked exceedingly hot and dashing in that black suit with a red rose pinned on the left side of the blazer and some of his luscious strands fell on his forehead which gave him that extra ounce of sexiness.

Before I could tear my eyes away from him, he randomly looked in my direction and I found my gazes locked with his. My heart missed a beat. I watched his orbs blaze in wild anger finding Josh stood alongside me. My breaths shivered seeing his expressions darken and jaws clench hard.

"Guess I've made Parker way too jealous for my own good," I heard Josh whisper. "Before he kicks me out, I better leave your side. Don't wanna miss on the free food. Bye."

And Josh walked away. I glanced sideways, trying to calm my nervous heart, as Devon approached me.

I felt his intense gazes on me as he spoke, "I was waiting for you. Thought you wouldn't come."

"You thought right. I never intended to come here," I said flatly.

"Liar, liar, Sanchez on Fire," Devon smirked.

I narrowed my eyes into slits at him. "If my Gran didn't think that I don't know how to enjoy life like other people and that I needed help, I wouldn't have been here for sure."

I thought I was confident enough but when he took a step closer to me, my breaths hitched. I could smell his perfume so profoundly now because of his proximity and it was pushing my senses far away from me. I looked at him. Our faces had got so close. The same impish smile played on his lips, the usual mischievous glint in his remarkably dark orbs. And that was supposed to irk me but somehow, instead, I could feel a strange kind of.....of desire take shape within me. I immediately looked away from him.

My pulses slowed down as he went behind me. My heart banged against my ribs in an unhurried rhythmic manner as he leisurely walked across my back. my fingers tightened around my purse when I felt his shoulder slightly brush against my back. And next, I could feel his warm breaths on my earlobe and then his dense whisper followed.

"If you are forced to come, Eleanor, you shouldn't have been looking as ethereal as you do."

That set my heart galloping insanely.

"If Stef hadn't been so excited about decking me up, I would have surely come under-dressed for this party," I said sharply, regaining my breaths.

"Oh really," he snorted as though he didn't believe my words. "Was it only me who thought that it was impossible to make Eleanor Sanchez do something against her wishes? For example, I couldn't get her to be my girlfriend yet even though she is single now."

That stung me hard. Gathering myself, I spoke in a tough tone, "Gran and Stef are two of my closest. They mean a terrific lot to me. Unlike you."

Our faces were close again. Our gazes clashed. We were looking into each other's eyes. And I promised myself to not get affected by him, to not let my breaths falter even for a second.

"Funny how you have an unflinching answer to every of my question," Devon remarked.

"Funny how you thought I won't," I said in a similar tone.

I should have walked off but I just stood there. Devon walked back in front of me, still smiling in a lopsided manner. He then plucked the red rose from his black coat and held it in front of me. "For you."

That startled me and I was left tongue tied. My heart was racing again. I wanted the rose from him so much but I wasn't going to take it. It was wrong. I clenched my hand tightly to my side and averted my eyes off him.

"You already have my everything, Eleanor. This rose shouldn't be a problem to accept," he said in a deep passionate voice.

I looked at him again and this time I felt trapped. Before I knew it I was holding the rose. The slight brush of his fingers against mine while taking it from his hand was enough to send my heart rippling behind my chest. I was totally against myself but I felt good when I gazed down at the beautiful red flower.

When I looked up at him, I knew something wasn't right about him.

"Now, do you see the bin that's ten steps behind me? Throw this into it," he said, looking distracted.

"Wha??" I blinked, not sure of what I heard.

"You shouldn't have taken the rose. Throw it. Go now," he said, not looking at me.

"Hey, wait!" I clutched Devon's arm as he was about to walk away past me. "You can't leave like that! If you wanted me to throw it away, why did you give it to me on the first place?"

I hate how things are so uncertain with him. Fine, I felt bad about having to do away with something he'd given me.

Devon secretly took my hand off his arm as though he wanted to hide my hold on him and walked off.

I was so frustrated that I discarded the rose in no time. Right then I saw Kelly enter the party. She made heads turn. And she looked....she actually looked great. Although she was wearing a white risqué dress, it didn't look really vulgar. She looked classy....

Yeah, I'm saying that. There was a reason why boys were after her in school and also in the neighborhood.

I turned away and headed towards the counter to get myself a Coke when Kelly came in front of me. She made the usual bitchy face. I rolled my eyes and looked away.

"Why, it's a shock that you of all people are here given the fact that you hate the host of the party," said Kelly, her thickly shaded lips curling in distaste. "Oh I'm so sorry I forgot that you're on the way to cheat on your boyfriend with Devon."

"I know some exceptional mouth wash brands that are a must use for you," I drawled at her jeer. "And who knows you might just be able to do away with the stench in your head too?"

"I wish Luke would see what you're upto behind his back." scowled Kelly.

I opened my mouth to give her a befitting reply---

"Funny that Dad remembered to invite bitches but forgot to invite dogs. But nothing to worry, I saw a couple of them sniffing smelly leftovers outside. Feel free to join them."

Devon insulted Kelly and how. Such a burn!

I couldn't hide my smile. Kelly, though embarrassed she was, pretended as if nothing happened.

"You're lookin' so sexy, hotshot," Kelly smiled at him seductively, resting her hands on his shoulders and was trying to get all over him.

I looked away from the scene. It pinched me so bad that I found it difficult to inhale.

"Don't touch me."

I heard Devon's harsh tone full of warning as he jerked her hands away. He was looking at Kelly with anger and hate flashing in his eyes.

It frightened Kelly so much that she immediately stepped back from him and walked off with her nose in the air.

Devon allowed his gazes to linger on me with an undecipherable expression for a moment before he too walked away.