Chapter 14.

Each day I began to look forward to that one hour in the afternoon when I read out stories to Jackson sitting in the lawn adjoining the library at the sports club. Spending time with the little boy had become my most favorite part of the day. It wasn't just I who did the reading and it wasn't just him who did the listening, we reversed the roles often and damn, his reading and comprehending skills were very impressive.

I loved when his eyes sparkled with childlike curiosity whenever there was a plot twist in the story. I loved his infectious laughter whenever we read something funny or his goofy smile when he tried to predict the character's next move.

Apart from reading out loud to each other, we talked about general things like his day at school and his home as well. Jackson was an intelligent six year old who was sweet and shy by nature but once he gets comfortable with a person, he is extremely adorable and witty. The more I got to know him, I more I grew fond of him.

From his innocent talks I got to know how immensely he loved his elder brother Devon and looked like the kid's feelings were well reciprocated by the older boy. Also it seemed from the kid's talks that his mother was always busy and didn't really spend enough time with him. But Jackson always spoke affectionately about her.

But.

In midst of loving the time spent with Jackson everyday, I couldn't shrug off the feeling that we were being secretly watched. Everyday.

I looked around on a couple of occasions but since I found nothing close to suspicious, I tried to let go of the thought but it stayed with me.

Then came that evening during one of the weekends when I was surprised to find Mr. Parker, Jackson's father, along with the kiddo himself at my doorstep.

"Hope it isn't the wrong time to pay a visit," Mr. Parker said courteously.

I haven't really interacted with him before this but since we are immediate neighbors, we do exchange basic greetings whenever we happen to come across each other in the lane. Residents of Crawford lane know Mr Parker as a man who is effervescent, affable, considerate of others, helpful and also as someone who possess a very good sense of humor. So yeah, the neighbourhood loves are respects him.

"Not at all! Please come in."

As I ushered them into the house, I noticed that Jackson was hiding behind his father and avoiding eye contact with me. Wonder what's wrong with the child.

"Well, Jackson has told me about the little reading and listening session that he has with you everyday," Mr. Parker said affably, giving the kid's hair a gentle caress.

Explained why Jackson was behaving so strangely. I had asked him to keep it a secret. But that was only because of Devon. It was alright if Mr. Parker knew about it. I hoped Devon knew nothing about it.

"Yeah, we've read a couple of children novels," I smiled. "Jackson loves to read."

"And I cannot thank you enough for that! I never read books as a kid myself but Devon used to absolutely lo---" Mr Parker stopped abruptly, his face paling in an instant. He spoke again with a faint smile, "Devon has stopped reading anything since quite a few years now. Thus I'm glad that Jackson has developed a love for reading."

"No problem. It's my pleasure," I said politely.

"So I believe you guys have read 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' by Roald Dahl, 'Charlotte's Web' by E.B White and 'Owls in the Family' by Farley Mowat till now. That's what Jackson told me," said Mr. Parker, looking at the little one.

"Yes," I responded. "Jackson wanted to read 'Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator' which is a the sequel to 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' but the library didn't have it."

"I managed to find the book at a local book store and thus brought it along with a few other Roald Dahl books since Jackson is very keen to read all of the author's books. The thing is Jackson and even I were wondering if you would be able to read out those books to him only if it is not too much to ask for."

"Ofcourse not! Infact I'll be only too glad to read with him," I said cheerfully.

"That's great!" said Mr. Parker. "Did you hear what she said?" he asked the little boy.

"Yes! Thank you, Eleanor!" Jackson smiled widely.

I laughed. "No problem, honey."

"Will you be coming over then starting this Monday?" asked Mr. Parker.

That wiped the smile off my face and my eyes grew wide. No way! I'm not stepping in Devon's territory, thank you very much!

"Er...Jackson can come here. There will be absolutely no problem in that," I said.

"Whatever suits you best works best with us too," said Mr. Parker courteously. "So, kid, will you come here at Eleanor's house to read everyday?"

"Yes, I will!" Jackson grinned.

I wanted the rest of the weekend to wind up quickly. I was so happy that the cute little marshmallow would be coming over to my place. So come Monday after school, I went to the bakery and brought his favorite biscuits and cake. I already had Ferrero Rocher chocolates at home. And then I sat in the living room eagerly waiting for him to arrive.

But life isn't as rosy as we think it to be.

I smiled widely when there came a knock on the front door. I rose to my feet and strode over to the door but as soon as I opened it, I got the crudest shock of my life.

Devon was stood alongside Jackson at my doorstep.

Instagram: rashmita_b