The Waterside Turnabout Part 1 (Anton)

"I bet I can swim the fastest ever!"

"You know what?"

"What?"

"I hate bragging with a burning passion. I guess I should just bring it to a close."

"What are you-?!"

SPLASH!

"I guess that makes me the Gentleman Murderer, killer of seventeen. What fun it is to watch the fish struggle only to stop and die..."

//June 11, 2031. Defendant Lobby No. 1, 9:29 AM//

I looked down nervously from the couch of the defendant lobby. How is it that I always get into things like this...? I've been in the detention center so much you'd think it was my second home next to Polly and I's house...

"Anton?"

I looked up from my reflection on the mess that has been my life to see a familiar face. I looked over the honey blonde hair that cascaded down her back, the bangs having been dyed a bright turquoise. Her eyes shone as bright as ever from behind the typical glasses she always wore. She had a gray jacket on over a turquoise shirt and black jeans. Gray, fuzz coated boots were on her feet, just to show how casual she was, even in times like this one where I was on trial for committing murder... Again...

"Chrysalis!" I exclaimed, rising from my place on the couch. "Do you k-know who the l-lawyer is?"

Chrysalis nodded, adjusting the goggles around her neck proudly. "I requested him. He's a new guy, but I'm sure that he can do it. And if not, I can jump in to help you. I'm pretty good at doing that," she smirked pridefully.

"I know you are," I smiled at her warmly, earning a happy glance in return.

"Ms. Starr...?"

We both turned to see somebody walk in the room. It was a man a few years younger than Chrysalis and I. He had red hair that rested underneath a black fedora. He had a green jacket on over a lighter green vest and white button up shirt. His green dress pants matched both his jacket and his eyes. The man's shoes were so shiny, I could have seen my reflection if I wanted to.

"Thomas!!" Chrysalis smiled, running to his side. "Thomas, meet Anton. This is the boy you'll be defending. And he's also a great friend of mine, so don't screw this up, 'kay?"

"Then why did you ask for me instead of somebody more experienced?" 'Thomas' questioned in confusion. "This is my first case..."

"I know that, but it's pretty simple as far as I can tell," Chrysalis told him.

"T-then again... You have t-taken on tons of c-c-cases in the p-past six y-years..." I reminded her.

"Yeah! Your idea of simple is different than mine!" Thomas exclaimed. "And if what Anton says is accurate, then our ideas are really different!"

"You two worry too much. I'm sure the killer will stick out to us plain and simple when we get started," Chrysalis said, brushing off all of our worries.

"Defense! Please proceed to the courtroom!" came the cry of a nearby bailiff.

I gulped. "It's t-time..." I whispered nervously.

"You'll be out of the detention center before you can say 'objection', Anton!" Chrysalis grinned. "I won't have it any other way!!"

//June 11, 2031. Courtroom No. 1, 10:00 AM//

The judge slammed down his gavel, causing me to flinch from the witness stand. No matter how many times I heard that, I never got used to it...

"Court is now in session for the trial of Anton Burke," the judge declared. "I've heard that name quite a bit in this court!"

"Yes, you have," Polly announced from the other side of the courtroom. "Would you please just get on with the trial already? I don't have time for your shenanigans."

Chrysalis nudged Thomas with her elbow. "Prosecutor Polly Bloom. Anton's adopted mom and my future sister in law," she told him. "She's pretty tough, but she loves Anton, so I'm positive she'll lighten up. See? Easy."

"Easy has different definitions, I suppose," Thomas sighed.

"Are the defense and prosecution ready?" the judge questioned.

"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor," Polly declared.

Thomas looked to Chrysalis nervously, unsure of what to say. "What do I do?!" he hissed at her.

"He means that the defense is ready," Chrysalis told the court with a smile. "We're as ready as we'll ever be, Your Honor."

The judge nodded. "Very well then. Prosecutor Bloom, your opening statement, please."

"The crime took place yesterday," Polly began. "A young man, Ty Swimm, was found drowned to death at a swimming pool, evident by the hand marks on the victim's neck. There was somebody found at the crime scene by my witness, and that was none other than the defendant. The prosecution aims to use all of this evidence to prove that the killer is none other than the defendant."

"Very good," the judge nodded.

"C-can the d-defense ask a q-question?" Thomas asked uncertainly, his voice barely coming out as a whisper.

"Of course you can, but may you?" Polly replied with a small smirk.

"O-oh... Shutting up now..." Thomas said, looking down nervously.

"She means yes," Chrysalis told him, nudging his shoulder again. "Go on. What's your question about?"

"W-what exactly is the murder motive in this case?" Thomas questioned.

"The victim was known for having a little bit of an ego, so the prosecution asserts that the victim provoked the defendant, causing him to kill the victim in a fit of blind rage," Polly answered, though I could tell that she was only saying that because I didn't have a motive. I didn't even know the name of the person who died until her opening statement a few minutes before, after all...!

"That is a quite powerful argument..." the judge agreed, stroking his beard as he became lost in thought.

"Remember, innocent until proven guilty, Your Honor," Chrysalis reminded him.

The judge nodded. "You are correct. Prosecutor Bloom, you may call your first witness."

"The defense calls Aqua Alla to the witness stand!" Polly exclaimed, pointing to the stand with a smirk.

------------------------------------------

I bet yall are happy I pretyped this now that FAB is over aren't cha

I know you are so enjoy!

-Digital