The Treacherous Turnabout, Part 4 (Nevada)

//October 24, 2031. Defendant Lobby No. 4, 9:38 AM//

I sat on the couch and twiddled my thumbs, my head pounding. I hadn't gotten much sleep last night from worrying, as Alon-Z still hadn't come home from the scout mission I sent her on to check up on Chrysalis. What if things had gone wrong...?!

My negative thoughts were (luckily) disrupted when Lusty and the Raine girls came walking in, all looking serious, well, other than the Tiny Raine, who was looking as happy as a toddler. How can she be that happy at a time like this?! Children these days are ridiculous!!

"You ready for the trial?" Lusty asked me.

I sighed. "Maybe..." I muttered, not sure how I would be able to fare in there. Today was sucking beyond imagination and I hadn't even been awake for two hours yet. Perfect.

"You'll be fine! You'll be out of the detention center in next to no time! Promise!" Tiny Raine told me, grinning madly.

"If you say so..." I whispered, wishing I had told Lusty to go and get Uncle Coat. Why wasn't he here?! He hadn't even come by the detention center to see how I was doing being arrested for the third time in my life (technically fourth if you count that one time where I was locked away in the subconscious).

"Is something wrong?" Tiny Raine asked.

"Where the heck is Uncle Coat?!" I roared, finally reaching the breaking point of my anger. "He hasn't even come by to check on me! Does he not like me anymore or something?!"

"I don't think he's even heard about the case..." Tall Raine told me. "He hasn't mentioned a thing about it since we started our investigation yesterday."

"Like he could go a full twenty four hours without screaming over Chrysalis," I said sarcastically, glaring at her. Why would Uncle Coat hire them if they didn't even know about his panicky habits?! It's like they don't know anything!!

"Maybe something's getting in the way of him coming to see you. He could have heard about it and gone down to the hospital to check on her. After all, he wasn't there when we arrived this morning," Lust told me, trying to soothe my yelling and sarcastic comments. He was failing.

"He wouldn't come and check on me? He practically couldn't leave last time I got locked up," I said. That was true, actually. He stayed with me for at least thirty minutes (I think; I didn't have access to a clock at that time since I was in the detention center) to talk to me about why I'd confess to a crime. At the very least he noticed me back then...

And then he's just going to waste all that progress and not come to check on me?! That hurts the heart of even a killer, you know!!

"Defense! Defendant!"

I growled at the bailiff's snapping comment, which made him shrink into the corner. I smirked, though the pride didn't last long. Lusty took my shoulder. "Let's go," he told me.

I shook his hand off. "Just leave me alone, Lusty," I snarled at him before stalking my way into the courtroom.

//October 24, 2031. Defendant Lobby No. 4, 10:00 AM//

"Court is now in session for the trial of Nevada Wood," the judge declared once I had taken my place at the witness stand. "I've heard that name quite a few times in this courthouse's day..."

"Shut up," I growled at him. The judge recoiled in fear, so I walked to the defendant's chair and took a seat, wanting this to get over with as soon as was possible.

"A-are the defense and prosecution ready?" Your Beardness squeaked out.

"The prosecution is ready," Yin smirked. Why did she of all people have to prosecute my case?! She's an evil demon who needs to be warded away by the Dark Lord's charms!!

"The defense is also ready," Lusty continued.

"Your opening statement, Prosecutor Yin?" the judge questioned.

Yin nodded. "The crime was two days ago around seven at night. A woman in her early twenties was found stabbed to near death. The defendant was found at the scene by a witness, who will be called later in today's session to testify," she declared. "As far as I'm concerned, she's the only one who could commit this crime since her prints were also found on many of the weapons."

"Thank you, Prosecutor Yin," the judge told her. "Call your first witness now."

"Kuroda. Stand. Now," Yin announced, that sickeningly sweet smile of hers spreading across her face. Have I ever told you how much I hate her? In that case, I can tell you now: I hate her, I hate her, I hate her, I hate her-

"Witness, please state your name and occupation," the judge instructed.

"Michiko Kuroda. Detective," the weird detective girl announced. I groaned. Why couldn't Mukkie or her dad (even Stannaegi and Duck Guy would be better!) have testified here? This was almost as bad as that D know it all.

"Please tell the court about the details of the crime in question, witness," Yin told her, pointing at the new detective with a slight, yet demonic, smile.

"I'll be right on it!" The new detective smiled back, making me growl. This was an attempted murder trial and here they were, smiling as if nothing in the world was wrong. That fact, among many other things that were being brought up during this trial, made me ready to run as far away from here as I could and never look back.

----------------------------------------------------

Nevada no being a grump-

-Digital