Turnabout Forgeries, Part 8 (Kyo)

//June 18, 2031. Defendant Lobby No. 2, 9:38 AM//

I walked into the lobby the next day with a frown. Nobody had come by to visit me at the detention center yesterday, meaning that I was going to be bombarded with questions the second that Lust and Tenniswood showed their faces in this lobby. I sighed. Just because I went all demonic yesterday didn't mean that I wanted to be asked about it. 

As soon as I thought of this, the doors flew open and Lust and Tenniswood ran in, Sophie trailing close behind. Tenniswood shot me a suspicious glance before stopping at my side. "What was with your odd behavior yesterday?" she demanded, eyes narrowing into slits that looked like pure evil. 

I didn't give her a reply. I couldn't think of why I had done it. All I knew was that this case wasn't going to be won without a little bit more investigation because as far as I had been able to tell yesterday, Sophie hadn't shown her ability to the lawyers yet, which I also knew was going to be a big part of finding the truth behind this case. Some people may incriminate me for trusting a gut instinct, but whatever.

"Kyo?" Sophie prompted, pouting up at me unhappily. "Please tell us. We don't want you to be locked up in that weird place anymore."

I sighed. "I knew that you hadn't used Sophie's power yet just by the evidence you had, so I had to interrupt the trial to get you all to investigate. But I'm sure that you did something yesterday to prove my innocence, so I'm no longer concerned," I explained, thought it was admittedly only for Sophie's sake.

"We did use her ability yesterday, as a matter of fact," Tenniswood told me. "How did you know?"

I pointed to Lust's pocket, which had a white cloth hanging out of it. "It was a lucky guess as soon as I saw that thing," I told her. "You aren't very good at masking your emotions, Lust."

He looked rather insulted by my words for a few seconds, but the cry of a bailiff made him sigh and cool off. "Let's go in there. Hopefully, that weird prosecutor girl will let us pick a witness to call up to the stand," he told us all. "She scares me..."

"Prosecutor Lin and her alternate ego aside, let's go in," Tenniswood instructed. I complied quickly, not wanting to find out what happens when somebody gets on her bad side.

//June 17, 2031. Courtroom No. 2, 10:00 AM//

The judge sternly slammed his gavel down once everybody had taken their places inside the trial. "Court is back in session for the trial of Kyo Raine," he declared, shooting me an angry glare. "Is the defendant... Calm now?"

I rolled my eyes. "You don't need to know of my current mental state, Your Honor," I declared mockingly, turning away with a whip of my hair. That man annoys me more than a little bit, if you want the truth. I think everybody else on this planet feels the same, though, so it's fine.

"Did the investigation turn up any new results?" the judge questioned.

Yin nodded. "Yes, as a matter of fact. I'm sure the defense wishes to call a certain somebody in the mansion as a witness for the defense team, since they have one of their typical pointless questioning lines again," she announced. 

"How does she do that?!" Lust hissed at Tenniswood.

"She can get that way. Pay it no mind. We need to focus on the trial at hand instead," Tenniswood replied before raising her voice. "If the court will allow it, we do have a witness to call."

The judge nodded. "Go on, Ms. Tenniswood," he agreed.

"The defense calls Anthony Umber to the witness stand to testify!" she announced, pointing at the stand powerfully.

Anthony appeared at the stand not long after, shaking his hair out of his eyes. Maintaining his cool head like he always had before, I see.

"Witness, please state your name and occupation," Yin instructed, glaring at him with a sense of elegance and anger, which I admit scared me in the slightest.

"Anthony Umber, prosecutor," Anthony replied. "Defense? What do you want me to testify about, exactly?"

"We heard yesterday that you talked with the victim the morning of the crime," Lust began. "If you would be so kind, could you please explain what exactly you talked about? It could be a large part of the case."

Anthony sighed and nodded. "If you're so sure that it will help out, then fine..."

WITNESS TESTIMONY: ANTHONY UMBER- TALKING WITH THE VICTIM

-I called him into my office to ask about the odd behavior the defendant had been exhibiting as of late.

-He didn't seem to have much of an idea.

-I remembered hearing something about Kyo liking to hang around in the mansion's file room.

-The defense also told me to mention something about the victim wearing a cravat when we spoke, but I don't see the importance in that.

"Defense, begin your cross-examination now," the judge told Lust and Tenniswood.

Lust nodded. "I'll be right on it, Your Honor."

CROSS-EXAMINATION: ANTHONY UMBER- TALKING WITH THE VICTIM

-I called him into my office to ask about the odd behavior the defendant had been exhibiting as of late.

-He didn't seem to have much of an idea.

-I remembered hearing something about Kyo liking to hang around in the mansion's file room.

-The defense also told me to mention something about the victim wearing a cravat when we spoke, but I don't see the importance in that.

"OBJECTION!"

As soon as Lust exclaimed that, I gasped. I was starting to understand. The killer in this case must be the one I had been chasing for nine whole years...! The Gentleman Murderer!

He was back, just like I had suspected from that case a week ago Lust took on. It was certain now that GM was back.

The man who killed my aunt and uncle was back.

--------------------------------------------

I can assure you I will stop updating this at some point I'm just procrastinating because I have ships for ship book but no chapter ideas and I don't want them to be too cringy-

So if I don't skip it in my rotation please don't be too surprised-

And also let's take a second to complain at how some people don't have school this week but I do gdi-

-Digital