The Waterside Turnabout, Part 2 (Thomas)

A girl with brown hair tied up in a pun made her way up to the witness stand. She wore a blue swimsuit on under a pair of white shorts, which were a little too short, if you ask me. Then again, it's not like I understand how the female mind works...

"Witness, please state your name and occupation," Prosecutor Bloom instructed, crossing her arms.

"Aqua Alla. Lifeguard, at your service!" the witness grinned widely, making her blue eyes shine in mischief. I took a step back. Was it really safe to be in the same room as her...?

"Please begin your testimony about what you saw the day of the crime," the judge instructed of Ms. Alla. 

Ms. Alla nodded, her bun bouncing. "Uh huh! I'll do that!"

"She's definitely an airhead..." Ms. Starr commented from beside me with a gentle sigh. "I hope her stupidity doesn't rub off on you and damage our case.

I prepared to give her a retort, but of course, the testimony started. Just more time for me to come up with a good comeback to Ms. Starr's statement, I guess...

WITNESS TESTIMONY: AQUA ALLA- THE DAY OF THE CRIME

-Well, I had to clean the bathrooms like I always have to...

-I heard these two guys talking about competition or something like that...

-There was this really loud splash, and so I ran out of the bathroom to see...

-A body in the pool! And the defendant was staring at it nearby!

-See?! He must be the killer! It's like, so obvious!

"That does seem rather decisive," the judge agreed. 

"Don't make assumptions, Your Honor," Ms. Starr instructed of him. "You should know that by now. Nothing is ever what it seems in court these days."

The judge sighed and nodded. "You're correct."

"Defense!" Prosecutor Bloom roared, causing me to flinch. My poor ears couldn't take much more of this.

"Yes?!" I exclaimed, saluting to her in fear. I didn't to get yelled at more than I already did by my rude agency boss!

"Begin your cross-examination now," Prosecutor Bloom told me, lowering her voice quite considerably.

I nodded shakily. "I'm on it." I turned to Chrysalis and whispered in a hurried panic. "Quick! What do I do?!"

"Uh, you look through her testimony and see if you can find a hole in it," Chrysalis explained. "It's not that hard. Just focus and I'm sure that things will be clear as crystal in no more than five minutes."

"I hope our definitions of that match this time around..." I muttered.

CROSS-EXAMINATION: AQUA ALLA- THE DAY OF THE CRIME

-Well, I had to clean the bathrooms like I always have to...

-I heard these two guys talking about competition or something like that...

-There was this really loud splash, and so I ran out of the bathroom to see...

-A body in the pool! And the defendant was staring at it nearby!

-See?! He must be the killer! It's, like, so obvious!

"HOLD IT!"

"What exactly makes it obvious that the defendant committed the crime?" I asked her, crossing my arms to stare at her. I couldn't find any holes, so I did what I've always seen in good lawyers: press.

"He was standing over the body. How much more obvious could it be?" Ms. Alla asked in reply.

I sighed. She was tiring me out already. "Is there any real proof you found at the crime scene to back up your claim about the defendant being our killer?"

"Slow your roll, Thomas," Ms. Starr instructed of me. "Witness. Did you see the defendant wet or not?"

"He was dry," Ms. Alla answered. "I'm sure of it."

"Add that to your testimony, please," Ms. Starr smirked. I gasped as I caught on to what she was doing. How did I not notice this before...?!

-The defendant was perfectly dry. Kind of weird at a pool, don't you think?

"OBJECTION!"

I would have stopped to fanboy over this being my first objection, but I knew that there wasn't any time to do that. Instead, I slammed my hand on the desk and did what I thought a lawyer would do in this situation. "Ms. Alla," I began, unsure of what else I was supposed to say in this moment.

"Huh?" Ms. Alla asked, her voice as spacey as it always had been. "Is something wrong, Mr. Lawyer dude...?"

"Your testimony has a huge hole in it, Ms. Alla," I told her. "You said that the defendant was dry when you saw him at the crime scene, but that is quite impossible."

"It is?" Ms. Alla questioned. "Maybe he just hadn't jumped in the water yet. That can happen, you know..."

I resisted the urge to face palm. "No. The victim was drowned. If the defendant was standing over the body, that immediately means that he didn't do it," I declared. "If he did do it, there's one thing that would contradict with the witness' testimony: him being dry."

"What does the defendant being dry when he found the body have to do with anything?" the judge asked in confusion. I supposed he was just as air headed as Ms. Alla was...

"When the defendant found the body, he was dry like the witness claims. Since the victim was drowned, that means that there's no way for him to have done it, as he would have been wet from shoving the victim underwater," I continued to explain.

"OBJECTION!"

"The defendant could have easily just pushed the victim into the water without getting wet!" Prosecutor Bloom exclaimed. She didn't seem to be going easy on me like Chrysalis thought she would.

But I had a surprise for her.

"OBJECTION!"

"That wouldn't work," I continued. "The victim had hand prints on his neck, showing that he was held down. In addition to that, the victim was a professional swimmer, meaning that he would have been able to recover from a mere push like you think."

Prosecutor Bloom flinched in shock. I supposed that she didn't expect me to be able to do something like that, since I was only a rookie. I guess she had another thing coming!

"In that case, why don't we have the witness testify again?" Prosecutor Bloom smirked.

I can't believe I thought it would be that easy.

---------------------------------

Today is probably the last day I'll be able to type during school, sadly.

Cries.

But take this update I'll go work on another one since I think I have the time-

-Digital