The Treacherous Turnabout, Part 9 (Nevada)

//October 25, 2031. Defendant Lobby No. 4, 9:35 AM//

I sat on the couch in the defendant lobby. I sighed and let my face slip into the grip of my hands. Even with what I told Chrysalis, telling her to stay at the hospital to recover, I wished that she were here. I didn't like being held in prison like this, and last time it happened, it was thanks to Chrysalis and Uncle Coat that I got out. Even memories of that were an improvement in this situation.

Lusty, Little Raine, and Big Raine came walking into the room shortly after I started thinking my emo thoughts. Lusty stood over me. "Are you ready for the big day?"

I sighed. "As ready as I'll ever be," I agreed, though I was nowhere near ready for this. I couldn't help it. The nerves were more than a little unsettling, churning in my gut.

"You'll be able to go home in just a few hours, Miss GJ! No need to feel blue!" Little Raine piped up, smiling and taking my hand in hers.

I hid my reddening face in my scarf. "T-thanks, Little Raine..." I said shyly, trying to hide my embarrassment, though I was well aware of the face that I was failing beyond imagination.

"You're welcome!" Little Raine exclaimed, jumping up and down joyfully at getting my affectionate praise.

I turned to Lusty and glared at him. "If you screw this up, Lusty, I swear that I will-"

"Babyyyyyyyyyy!"

Mama decided that this was the perfect moment to burst in dramatically, so I ended up hiding behind my scarf even more. "M-Mama!" I exclaimed, deciding to take refuge in my scarf for the rest of the day. "N-not in public!!"

Mama completely ignored my request, instead choosing to pick me up and spin me around in a bear hug. I rather quite enjoyed it, but I did my best not to show it so that Lusty would find me cute instead of fearing me. Only a few people have that permission, and he isn't one of them!

"Defense! Defendant!"

I let my feet touch the ground after Mama released me. "I'll see you at home, Mama," I told her.

"Okay." She pecked me on the cheek before walking into the courtroom, calling, "I love you," over her shoulder.

//October 25, 2031. Courtroom No. 4, 10:00 AM//

The judge slammed his gavel down on the bench, making me flinch and grip my scarf a little bit tighter. "Court is back in session for the trial of Nevada Wood," he declared. "Has any new evidence been found for the defense or prosecution?"

"Thanks to an annoying alter ego getting in the way of my investigation, the prosecution found nothing," Yin frowned. I glared and stuck my tongue out at her.

What? Tell me that she didn't deserve it.

"The defense, on the other hand, found a decisive piece of evidence and got some crucial testimony from the victim," Lusty announced.

"How could you have talked to the victim?! She's been unconscious sinc-" Yin tried to begin.

"She woke up yesterday. You need to stay caught up," I told Yin, sticking out my tongue at her again. Yin rolled her eyes angrily.

"The defendant will not speak out of tur-" the judge tried to cut in, but I glared at him and he backed off. Man, scaring people to death sure is a good thing sometimes!

"We heard that the defendant was assaulted by the real culprit before the victim was attacked. And we have a witness to back this up," Lusty smirked.

"You do?! In that case, call them to the stand now!" Your Baldness exclaimed.

"The defense now calls Neptune Mercure to the witness stand," Lusty announced.

A girl with blue and brown hair, who I assumed was this Mercure girl, made her way up to the witness stand. She looked like she had been crying recently, as her eyes were red and swollen. I wondered why SHE was the one who had been crying though she hadn't been at all involved in this case until the day before.

"Witness, please state your name and occupation for the court," the judge instructed.

"Neptune Mercure. Detective in training," Mercure answered. I hoped that she wasn't going to be one of those detectives who's all about catching the serial killers, because if she is...

I just won't finish that sentence.

"Please begin your testimony about what you saw the day of the crime," Yin proceeded to say.

Mercure nodded. "Okay."

WITNESS TESTIMONY: NEPTUNE MERCURE- WHAT I REMEMEBER SEEING

-It was about eight or nine at night when I was walking through the courthouse.

-I was meeting up with a few friends, who had been watching a trial.

-Then, I see this man with red hair!

-He was walking out of a prosecution lobby, dripping with blood!

-That guy must have been the real culprit!!

I let out the breath I had apparently been holding to sigh in relief. She wasn't trying to get me found guilty of attempted murder. Thank goodness.

"This does seem rather decisively pointing away from the defendant's guilt!" Your Beardness exclaimed. "I might as well announce her not guilty right now!"

"OBJECTION!"

"Let the defense cross-examine the witness first, okay?" Yin asked. I glared at her more. She ruined my moment to ditch this dump and get Mama hugs!!

"A-alright..." Your Baldness stammered, looking down in fear. I always knew Yin was terrifying, but I didn't know she could scare the old judge. That's supposed to be my job! Doesn't she know that?!

"I'll get onto it right away, if that's okay with you two," Lusty cut in.

Old Baldness nodded. "Go right ahead, Mr. Lust."

---------------------------------------------

IM LAUGHING BECAUSE IN ENGLISH WE GOT TO ENTER FICTIONAL CHARACTERS' NAMES INTO A SENTENCE GENERATOR AND I GOT THINGS LIKE THIS

Wonder Woman sang One Direction.

Nevada Wood needed help with her ice sculpture.

Anton Burke won many games of Scrabble.

IM DYING-

-Digital