Turnabout Recollection, Part 10 (Thomas)

//November 30, 2031. Morix Law Offices, 1:52 PM//

Kyo and I dropped off Sophie after the trial before heading back to the agency. Kyo had said something about wanting to talk to me in private, though I wasn't sure what it was she wanted to talk to me about. She hadn't given me any hints...

Kyo pulled me into the break room of the agency (which is the room next to the back room and across from the laundry room) and shut the door. I gulped down my nerves and sat down on the couch. "W-what is this about?" I asked her.

"I want to talk to you about how our cases have been going and... AE-7," Kyo told me, looking away from me nervously.

I tensed up and bit my lip. "I'm listening..." I told her, staring at the carpet strands on the ground. Suddenly, everything was more interesting than looking at Kyo.

"Okay. The culprit wanted to kill one main person. That person... Was Komaru Lust," Kyo said. "Judging by the ghastly look on your face, I assume that the name is something familiar?"

I nodded gently, hoping that tears wouldn't spill from my eyes now of all times. It wasn't the time to get sentimental.

"Your mother, I'd guess," Kyo continued. "The culprit wanted to kill your mother for whatever reason they had. Fifteen other people were killed in the process, leaving the Gentleman Murderer a well known serial killer. He left a note next to your mother's body and tied a cravat around her wrist. He explained who he was to any readers of it."

"I already know all that," I told her, hoping to rid myself of the empty feeling in my gut. I didn't ever feel good when talking about that sort of thing...

"Then... Do you remember the brother that J mentioned was killed by GM?" Kyo asked. I nodded. "It was Ian Raine, also known as my aunt. The two of them were half siblings."

I didn't do anything but let my mouth drop into a wide open position. "What?" I questioned, not really able to think of anything else to say. "So... You're related to J?"

Kyo nodded. "Yes. But there... There's something else about the case that you don't know. Only my parents and I know the truth about this secret," she said. "I'm sure you'll find it... To be an interesting plot twist."

"You're worrying me now," I admitted. "What could be such a big plot twist that you have to be this climactic about it?"

Kyo paused to take a deep breath before continuing. "Sophie and I... We're not sisters," Kyo told me, clenching one hand into a fight fist.

"Wait... What?!" I screeched, my hands flying to my mouth in shock. "You aren't sisters?!"

Kyo nodded. "We're not. If you want the truth... It all started back in AE-7. Sophie was only eight months old. My parents and I were babysitting her the day of AE-7."

"If you're not birth sisters, then how did you end up acting as sisters?" I asked. "And why haven't you told Sophie about all of this? Doesn't she deserve to know who she's related to and who she isn't?"

"I never said I'm not related to her. I am, actually," Kyo said. "We're cousins."

"Then... Why...?" I tried to begin, though the shock of the moment numbed my speech.

"She was born to my aunt and uncle. They went out for a date the day of AE-7, so my parents and I had to watch her. I was watching TV with Sophie when the news came on about the car crash," Kyo told me.

"Her parents were killed in the crash... Weren't they...?" I whispered.

Kyo nodded. "Yes. They were. So we had to adopt Sophie so that she wouldn't be sent off to an orphanage."

"I didn't expect you to tell me something like that of all things..." I admitted to Kyo. "But why haven't you told Sophie about this? Are you ever going to tell her the truth about her parents being...?"

"We don't know how she'll react hearing that her parents were killed by GM. She'll be scared... And feel like she doesn't fit, if I had to guess," Kyo explained. She touched her locket. "Have I ever shown you what's inside of here?"

I shook my head. "No... You haven't... I've always been kind of curious about why you always wear it but don't open it," I told her.

Kyo used one of her fingernails to force the locket open. It was gold and shone in the light of the room. Inside of it were two pictures, one of a blonde man and one of a bleach blonde woman. They were both smiling, but there was something familiar about the woman...

"She's wearing the comb and the locket you always wear!" I realized with a gasp.

Kyo nodded. "They originally belonged to Sophie's mother. After she died, I took them. At first... They were because somebody needed to hold onto them until Sophie was old enough to understand their importance, but now... I'm used to wearing them, so I don't know if I'm ready to give them up," Kyo confessed.

"I guess that... You would want to keep them if you've been wearing them for nine years since your aunt and uncle died..." I whispered. "But are you going to be telling her the truth anytime soon?"

Kyo hesitated. "If I do... It'll be when she's older. If I tell her now, she won't understand. And... I might never tell her because I don't want her to hate me and my parents for keeping her in the dark for so long."

"I get it," I assured her. "Now... I suppose I should tell you my half of the story."

Kyo nodded. "Okay... If you really want to tell me... Then go on."

I took a deep breath. "Okay... I'm ready. Get comfy. It's a doozy."

--------------------------------------

Hello

Here take an update

I'm going to run away now because I don't want to type anymore now and typing on phones is hard for me

-Digital