The Comedic Turnabout, Part 7 (Chrysalis)

I arrived at the pub soon after the trial had ended. I had heard talk of a comedian with initials from an old friend of mine (we will not speak of him here due to the fact that I'm not keen on crying in public).

I sighed and made my way through the pub, looking around for a guy who potentially looked like him since the universe loves telling me 'you can't see him now take that' at every twist and turn it gets the chance to. You have no idea how annoying it gets.

"You sure do look nice."

I shrieked and turned to see a boy with bright orange eyes staring me down. I glared at him angrily. I can't believe that he's trying to be the new Susumu. Cue me screaming and yelling at him to back the heck away from me and my relationships.

"Who are you?" I managed to choke out despite the tears that were pulling at the corners of my eyes. Not the time for tears, Chrysalis! You need to help out Thomas!!

"Sullivan Tyler. And you would be...?" The boy smirked at me, looking as if he was trying to flirt. I glared.

"Chrysalis," I told him simply, not in the mood to put up with his shenanigans at this point in time.

"Nice name," Sullivan told me. "Anyways, I guess you'll be wanting to question me for whatever reason?"

I nodded. "Yeah. What do you know about the crime?" I asked him, trying not to seem too clear on my real objective: get him to stop copying my friend.

"I'm sure that Mei was lying in court today. The killer has to be Ryoko," Sullivan told me.

"Do you have any real evidence of this?" I asked him. Thomas had better be thankful for me doing this, because this guy was already getting on my last nerve!

Sullivan shook his head. "No. But Mei doesn't have any proof to say that the killer is that weird guy she described, so why should we trust her word?" Sullivan questioned. "The police know better than an accomplice to murder."

"Look, I would like it if you would keep your personal thoughts out of this discussion," I sighed. I walked away from the stage, unable to hold back my tears any longer. Sullivan shrugged and didn't seem to notice, getting back to his joking around. I heard him say one last thing under his breath, though.

"So there was this baseball. And it was getting bigger, though I didn't know why. And then... It hit me," Sullivan muttered.

That. Is. It.

I hid behind the bar counter and held my head in my hands. I am well aware that this happened six years ago. But I'm still upset. So why don't people just shut up and leave me alo-

My thoughts were cut short when I reached up to grab a towel to wipe my tears off with. I grabbed something that I thought was a towel, but it was actually...

A cravat of a pure white hue.

I gasped and stood. I looked over the cravat further, my eyes eventually locking on something else: a strand of red hair hidden among the cravat's ruffles.

I knew immediately what this meant. I had been at the trial that morning, so I knew well that it was the cravat used against Ms. Kuda, the one the culprit had used to strangle her as blackmail so that she would be threatened into silence. And it was found where Ms. Kuda works in the pub, which meant only one thing.

The culprit was once again the Gentleman Murderer for some odd reason.

I forced myself to my feet and ran out from behind the bar. I began scanning the area for Thomas, Sophie, Kyo, Sora... Anybody but Sullivan would work at this point. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop crying once I started since he knew the signature joke of Susumu, something I wasn't comfortable with.

I squeezed my bad wrist to distract myself from the emotional hurricane while I shoved the door to the outside area open with my shoulder. "Thomas!" I exclaimed once I was out there.

Sure enough, the red haired lawyer was standing alongside the Raine sisters, all of whom looked lost in thought. Thomas looked up upon hearing my voice. "Chrysalis?" he asked in confusion. "What are you doing here? I thought you would be back at the agency."

"This case has... Uh... Connections to somebody I knew a few years ago," I told him, convincing myself that I was telling the truth since I was the same person as the one Susumu knew. Technically.

Before Thomas had the chance to ask what I meant, I shoved the cravat at his face. "Here. I found this behind the bar where Ms. Kuda works," I told him.

"You did?!" Sophie gasped. "D-didn't that mean that a mean guy committed the crime last time around?!"

"The Gentleman Murderer..." Kyo whispered, looking down with a clenched fist.

I nodded. "I guess that this is pretty decisive evidence that the culprit is that weird GM guy, wouldn't you say?" I asked them.

Thomas took the cravat from me and nodded. "This is what was used to strangle Ms. Kuda. I can just tell," he declared. "There's a piece of her hair on it, after all."

"In that case, I think that we can consider this investigation closed," I smirked, happy that the subject had diverted away from my relations with a certain comedian from a few years ago. I didn't like thinking about this stuff. Because let me tell you now, there's a reason that I hate islands so much. Same reason that Sullivan Tyler needs to get out of my life forever.

----------------------------------------

Chrysalis what have I told you about negativity and foreshadowing-

And yes this chapter was purely to fuel my inner ship while I was trapped in school.

And somehow I managed to type 5 pages in less than an hour at school??? How does that work???

-Digital