Time Of Need~8

MR BOOK STORE

CHAPTER 8

MCKINLEY P.O.V 

New Years passed pretty quickly, but of course, I spent it in the office since I needed to finish that writing thing that I never did. I hadn't talked to Luke since he went out partying with his friends and then he was hung over. So now it being a week later, and we haven't talked that much, I got worried. 

"What's wrong?" Courtney asked coming into my office. I was already on y third cup of coffee. I had only known Luke for a month but I was girlfriend and he hasn't talked to me in a week. 

"I haven't talked to Luke in like a week." I answered as I typed away on my laptop. She sat down, I'm sure she has no idea what to do. I had never been in a relationship before. I had no idea what to do.I texted him but he only gave me short little responds with one words answer's and I eventually figured out that I was being annoying and left him alone. 

"Have you called him?"

"Yeah, he ignores it." I answered. "Whatever, I don't even care." She laughed a little. I could tell it was a nervous laugh like she had to tell me something. "What?" 

"Your mom called." 

"Oh." I said looking at her. "What did she say?" 

"Your grandfather isn't doing well." She said and I looked down. My grandfather has been fighting cancer since my older brother was born, nearly 25 years ago. "Listen, they don't think he has much time so if you want to head home for a week or so I'll let you go." I nodded my head. "I understand. I can have someone else do the paper work we need, okay?" I nodded my head. 

"I'll head home tomorrow, is that okay?" 

"Whatever you need." She said. The work day was almost over, I would go home and pack and then leave early tomorrow morning. I knew that my grandfather was sick, he had been for years, I just never thought that I would be heading home to him to watch it all play out. 

"See ya." I said as I left the office. The walk to my apartment seemed longer but maybe it was just because it was freezing cold and I felt like my face was going to fall off. As soon as I entered the building, I sighed, heading up to my apartment. As soon as I got the door open, I headed for my bedroom to start packing. But, I stopped to call Luke. And of course I got his voicemail. 

"Hey, Luke, It's Kinley, I just wanted to let you know that I'm heading home for a few days. My grandfather is really sick. So, if you don't hear from me that's why but it doesn't seem like it will be a problem for you. Bye." I said before hanging up and sighing. We used to talk all day long and we would often treat each other for lunch. 

I went to bed that night with not hearing from Luke, again. 

The next morning I got up around five in order to shower and get myself out the door so I could get on the road to make it home around nine or ten in the morning depending on how many stops I made. Of course I stopped for coffee, I already knew that I was. Of course I got stuck in traffic, that was a given, it didn't matter how early you left your house, you would get stuck in some type of traffic.

When I was about halfway there, I stopped again for another coffee and to use the bathroom. It seemed weird to me because the only time I had left the city recently, I left with Luke and he drove, now he just didn't want anything to do with me. 

It hurt, I wasn't going to lie. I finally opened up to someone and he just short of walked away? You could say. I mean I haven't heard from him, or anyone for that matter. I had no idea what he was doing. Then it made me start to think that maybe something happened during New Years when I wasn't with him and he's been avoiding me so he doesn't have to tell me. Either way, it pains me.