Did you...?~9

MR BOOK STORE

CHAPTER 9

MCKINLEY P.O.V 

A few days later me and Luke drove home, in separate cars but he made me stay on the phone with him the entire time. We made small talk the entire ride. Once we reached New York, I sped ahead of him and we basically raced all the way back to my apartment. 

"Thank you for being there for me when I needed you." I said to him when he kissed me. 

"Of course. I will always be here for you." And I didn't know it at the time, but he meant it. 

The following weeks I was swamped at work with meetings after meetings and writing as much as I could. Courtney's wedding was coming up fast so she hasn't been working much while I've been working to get everything done before the wedding. We would all be taking two days off of work so we would be able to go. 

"Hey, babe." Luke said as he placed a bag of food down on my desk as I worked. He sat on his phone while I worked. 

"I'm so stressed." I whispered and he looked up at me. 

"Want me to give you a massage?" He asked and I nodded as he walked behind me and started massaging my shoulders. It felt amazing and I really appreciated everything that he was doing for me. I took a break from writing to eat lunch with Luke, we made small talk. 

"You're going to be my plus one at Courtney's wedding right?" I asked and he nodded his head as he ate his burger. "I already have a hotel room booked." I said to him. 

"I uh, I have to talk to you about something." He said to me and I looked up at him. 

"Okay." I said putting my pen down and crossing my finger's on top of my desk and looked at him. 

"I'm going to California in April. For like a week. I want you to come with me. I always see you in your work space but you never see me in mine." He said. 

"You want me to go with you?" I questioned looking at him and he nodded his head. "Sure! I'll have to work while we're there for at least a few hours a day but that would be amazing!" I said getting up to hug him. 

"And we can just like chill on a beach or something but I do have to work with some clients so not sure if I'll be able to be with you all the time but you can go shopping or you can sit by the pool. You can do whatever you please." He said smiling at me and I nodded my head. 

Later that night I was laid on the couch while Luke cooked in my kitchen. I'm pretty sure that it was french fries and lasagna which was very weird to put those two things together but I wasn't going to stop him. I heard curse a few times which made me get off the couch to see what he was doing in which he shooed me away saying that he could handle it. 

And then a few minutes later I heard him talking on the phone with Liz trying to figure out how to actually make the lasagna. 

"Luke? I'm starving. When is it going to be done?" I questioned standing up fixing the tank top I was wearing. 

"Soon. You have no patience." He said as I rolled my eyes. 

"And you can't cook." I said back at him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I'm sorry for what I said when I was hungry." 

"Have a snack." He said to me but we all knew that I would never eat what he made if I had a snack. I poured myself a glass of wine sitting down at the table. I scrolled through my phone looking at emails that people have been sending me, responding to a few. Luke pulled the lasagna out of the oven placing it on the stove before getting two plates and putting a piece on each of the plates before placing one in front of me.