Chapter 21 - It's a Cruel World

Some sensitive subjects are discussed.

Kyungsoo's POV

'Kris hyung I'm tiredddd.' Luhan whined and hit Kris' arm.

'Steve said we had to do 5 more run-throughs and he's the choreographer - he knows what's best for us! Just go with it, we'll be done soon.' Kris calmly replied whilst dripping in sweat.

Luhan sighed and I internally groaned, I was so tired and I had a maths test in an hour. Everyone kept complaining until Suho snapped at us and we finally started concentrating again.

We are practicing for the Incheon High-School performance competition so it was pretty important. If we get through this we can go against other schools in South Korea.

I started doing a certain move where I stood behind Baekhyun and I was ready to move again when I saw his face turn pale and his legs give way - luckily I caught him and lowered him carefully to the ground.

'Baek?!' I held his head, trying to get the blood to go to it.

'BAEKKIE?' Suho ran over to where I sat with a semi-conscious Baekhyun.

'What happened!?' Everyone gathered round.

'We were just dancing and he fainted..'

'Baekhyun, come on mate you'll be okay.' Chanyeol said holding his hand, concerned for his best friend.

Baekhyun moved slightly and tried to sit up, his weak body failing him.

That's when I realised, he was still in my arms, I hadn't felt him still there.

That's when I realised how light he was.

That's when I realised how underweight and ill he looked.

{Flashback}
'Where's your ice cream Baek?'

'I don't feel too well today, I think I ate something bad earlier.'

I had just brushed off all the warning signs.

Now he's here, weak and limp in my arms.

And the water and no ice cream went unnoticed.

The half eaten small salad had gone unnoticed.

And now he has fallen into the evil, temptation filled hands of anorexia.

And now he is nothing more than skin and bones, shivering on a summers day because he lacks the fat and flesh a human should possess. He lacks the life a human should possess. Something, somewhere along the way went wrong. But what was it? An unstable childhood? Abuse? Insecurities? Self-hatred? Bullying? A mixture of many?

What fucked Baekhyun up so bad that he stopped giving himself the right care?

What fucked Baekhyun up so bad that he starved himself?

What fucked Baekhyun up so bad that he refused to look after himself?

I felt tears slip down my face as I realised the events that were unfolding before me. Underweight. Malnutrition. Weakness.

'Kyungsoo babe, why are you crying? I'm sure Baekhyun will be fine.' Chanyeol held my hand and Baekhyun reassured me that he was okay.

'No Baekhyun. You are far from okay.'  I said sternly and my eyes locked onto his, communicating that I knew. I knew what was wrong. Chanyeol tried to clean my tear stained cheeks but I looked away from him.

'B-Baekhyun..' I choked out.

He looked at his feet and fiddled his thumbs.

'P-Please don't -' I started crying again.

'KYUNGSOO JUST TELL US WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON.' Suho shouted, clearly worried for his boyfriend, stopping at nothing to find out what was wrong - even if he was scaring me.

'Don't shout at my boyfriend.' Chanyeol grit his teeth and they stared each other down whilst I grabbed Baekhyun's hand and told him we were going to the school nurse.

'Where are you going?' Sehun questioned when we were about to leave.

'I'll tell you later, we won't be long.' And with that I gently lead Baekhyun to the nurse.

We walked in the direction of the medical room, I held Baekhyun and we went slowly so he didn't collapse again.
'You're gonna be okay Baek. We're going to sort this out and you're gonna be healthy again.' I reassured him again.

'T-Thank you Kyungsoo. You're the only one that noticed what was wrong..' He mumbled the near incoherent sentence.

'I'll always be here for you Baekhyun,' I stopped outside the medical room, 'I'll be strong if you can't be and I'll look after you I promise. You're my best friend, even if you're two years above me and you act all badass, inside you're fragile and I promise never to let this happen again.' I said confidently and looked up at a teary eyed Baekhyun who the proceeded to cry heavily and pull me into a tight hug.

'I love you Kyungsoo. You're not just a best friend you're my brother.' He weakly smiled and I knocked gently on the nurses door.

'Hello bo- oh, oh goodness you look so ill, quickly let's get you checked up.' The nurse herded us into the small room.

'So what happened then?'

'We were practicing for the Incheon competition and Baekhyun collapsed. I believe he hasn't been having enough nutrients and hasn't been eating healthily however I haven't managed to ask why yet.'

'Well first of all we must get you treated so you're feeling better and then we can get a psychologist in the review your mental health, unfortunately, all I can do is try and make you healthy for now and I can't offer anything else - the rest of that's out of my hands.' The nurse explained to us, 'however, it would be useful to know why this is happening.'

The nurse and I looked at Baekhyun, awaiting his answer. A tear rolled down his cheeks and I held his hand for support.

'I-I've always been insecure but recently it's been worse because when I'm not with the others I'm - I'm really weak and someone managed to realise that. They realised that I was the weak link in the group and I was..helpless' He sighed and gripped my hand tighter, 'and so they began to bully me, tell me I was fat and I deserved to die. They would remind me in the morning that I 'shouldn't eat lunch today' because I'm too fat already.'

The tears were also rolling down my cheeks as I choked out the sentence, 'who was it?'

He looked at the nurse and then slowly turned back to me, gripping my hands and shaking whilst staring into my eyes.

'Baekhyun, who was it?' I asked again, prying for the answer to who ruined him like this.

'Max.'

----------------------

So this is a pretty emotional chapter, lots of new things and drama. I hope the writing's not too bad as these topics are a bit too close to home for me, I hope the chapter's alright!

Max is back :((( I hate myself for bringing that monster back when everything was getting better ><

There's not much Chansoo or ships in general in this chapter, I hope you guys understand this was quite a serious chapter so I didn't think it was appropriate. :)

~Jess