Chapter 22

"I'm exhausted as hell" Michael muttered, laying back on the bed with his eyes closed. I smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"Me too." Just then, there was a knock on the cabin door. I knit my eyebrows and slowly walked over to it, turning the knob and feeling my heart thump hard against my chest at the sight of Calum. "Calum?" I asked. He exhaled through his nose and Michael bolted up, walking towards us.

"What the hell do you want, Calum?" Michael asked, shooting him a look that could kill as he wrapped an arm around me. I rolled my eyes at him.

"I wanna talk to Ashley alone for a minute or so" he said.

"Sure" I replied, removing Michael's arm. Michael narrowed his eyes and huffed as I stepped outside with Calum. He cleared his throat and kicked at the sand.

"So, I know it's your birthday and I wanted to bring you a rose" he said. I smiled as he handed it to me.

"Thanks, Calum" I said, starting to walk back in.

"Wait" he said, grabbing my arm. I sighed and turned back around. "I know we're at an awkward stage so I was wondering if we could start over...as friends." I thought about.

"Yeah" I said. "Yeah, I would like that." He smiled and I gave him a quick hug.

"Happy birthday" he said.

"Thanks." I walked back inside the cabin to see Michael sitting on the bed, facing away from the door. When he heard me come back in, he stood up with his jaw clenched.

"You're leaving me for him now, aren't you?" He asked.

"What?" I replied.

"He convinced you to get back together with him and you kissed him and now you're leaving me. Just admit it." He put his head in his hands.

"Michael, what the hell? Do you hear yourself right now and how stupid you're being? The only thing that happened out there was him talking to me and telling me he wanted to be friends. That's all. And if you don't trust me, then..then maybe you should go."

He frowned.

"No, of course I trust you..." He trailed off.

"You don't, do you?"

"I-I do..."

"Whatever" I mumbled.

As I turned around, I heard Michael say "Wow. Him and Luke."

I spun on my heel. "Get out."

"What?" He asked.

"I said get out" I spat.

He pursed his lips and tried to walk up to me, but I pushed him away. I looked into his eyes and saw hurt, but he turned around and walked out of the cabin. I put my head in my hands and tried to keep from crying. This can't be permanent..can it? We're gonna make up, right? It's just a stupid fight. But what if we don't? Everything was going perfectly, but we had to get into a stupid fight. I crawled under the covers and felt a few tears drip down my cheeks. I wiped them away and sighed, burying my head into the pillow and drifting off to sleep.

-

I woke with a jolt and expected to see Michael next to me, but I remembered the fight. I sighed deeply and looked at the time. 3:32am. I rolled out of bed and decided on going to Michael's cabin. I'll just crawl under the covers and fall asleep next to him. Even if we're fighting, I know I won't get back to sleep unless I know he's with me. But when I opened the cabin door, I gasped to see Michael laying on the door step, fast asleep. I felt my heart flutter and I put a hand to my chest. He fell asleep out here. Was he waiting out here? I knelt down next to him, playing with his purple hair. I don't wanna wake him, but I don't necessarily wanna fall back asleep out here. So I grabbed his hand.

"Michael" I whispered, shaking him a little. He mumbled my name and turned over. I smiled. I wonder what he's dreaming about. "Michael" I repeated, shaking him a little harder. His eyes slowly opened and he squinted at the sight of me.

"W-what? Am I dreaming? Ashley?"

"You're dreaming" I lied, grabbing his hand and helping him stand up. Due to him half asleep, he nodded and walked back inside with me, crawling under the covers. He wrapped his arms around me.

"Are you sure I'm dreaming?" he muttered.

"Yes. Now go back to sleep."

"I love you."

What?

I felt my heart beat slow. He didn't mean it. He's half asleep and he didn't mean it. I heard him start to snore and knew he was asleep again. A million thoughts ran through my mind. I know Michael couldn't have meant that. He's...Michael. Michael doesn't fall in love.

Michael doesn't fall in love.

He messes around with a girl, then leaves her. Is that what this is? Him messing around? I looked at him, sleeping peacefully and frowned. I left a soft kiss on his jawline. I can't dwell on this... I need sleep.

-

I woke up to soft snores in my ear and opened my eyes. Michael's still asleep. I crawled out of the bed and got in the shower. 10 minutes later I stepped out and slid into some jean shorts and a tank top. I opened the door and saw Michael, rubbing his eyes and squinting.

"Hey" I said softly, sitting next to him and grabbing his hand.

"Aren't I supposed to be on your doorstep?" He asked tiredly.

"Yeah...you probably don't remember because you were half asleep, but I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep so I woke you up and you came to the bed with me."

"Oh" he replied. "Aren't you mad at me?"

I sighed.

"A little" I admitted. "I mean..you don't trust me." He ran a hand through his hair.

"I want this to work out and I want you to know that from now on, I will fully and completely trust you." He gave me a half smile and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I believe you" I said. He rubbed my back. I gave him a soft kiss and he stood up, walking to the bathroom. I wonder if I should tell him about what he said last night. He got into the shower and I decided I was gonna tell him. There's really no crime in it. He got out of the shower a while later and walked out, fully clothed.

"Michael?" I said. "Can I talk to you?" He nodded and sat next to me. "Well, um..last night, while you we're half asleep..you said some things that I'm sure you didn't mean..."

"Like what?" He asked.

"Well....we got into the bed, and, um..you said you..love me.." I trailed off awkwardly.

"I did?" He asked, his cheeks turning red.

"Yeah. But don't worry, I'm sure you didn't mean it."

"I don't know..." He trailed off.

"What?"

"We haven't known each other long but you give me these feelings... I don't know if it's love yet. I don't even know love. I've never fallen in love."

"Me either" I admitted.