Chapter 34

"Don't be scared, she's a really nice lady" Michael said as we drove down the road, on the way to his actual house. I'm meeting his mom today and we're having dinner, but I'm extremely nervous.

"What if she doesn't like me?" I asked, biting my nails.

"Trust me, Ashley. She would like any girl that's willing to be in a serious relationship with me."

That made me feel a little bit better. It took a while, but Michael turned onto a street and drove down it. He turned onto a driveway and my nerves began to act up again. I looked up at the pretty house.

It looked to be about 3 floors, and it was cream colored. It was absolutely gorgeous, and it had a deck out back. We got out of the car and he grabbed my hand as we walked up to the door.

"Don't be scared" he said, chuckling. He knocked on the door and his mom answered it.

I was surprised to see how gorgeous she was. It's not like I thought she would be ugly, but for a woman around my mom's age she looks quite young. I should've figured she would be this pretty; after all, she gave birth to Michael.

She has long, brunette hair and blue eyes. Her hair goes down to a little above her waist.

"You must be Ashley!" She exclaimed in a thick australian accent, smiling. She embraced me in a huge hug. "I'm Courtney. You have no idea how much Michael told me about you when he came over the other day" she said, smirking at him playfully. "You're just as beautiful as he described you."

I looked up at Michael and his cheeks were bright red. I chuckled at him.

"Thank you so much" I said.

"Of course. Come on in."

We both stepped into the house and it smelt like freshly lit candles. There was a fireplace in the living room along with 2 couches and a recliner. The TV rested on a red cabinet and it was pretty large.

"I'm working on the spaghetti right now, but you and Ashley can just hang out in your room or you can show her around or whatever" she said. She gave me one last grin and walked to the kitchen.

"I already love your mom" I said.

"Yeah, okay.." He mumbled, obviously embarrassed. I laughed at him. "I'll take you to my old room."

We walked up a set of wooden stairs and down a large hallway. He opened the second door on the right and we walked in.

I smiled at the room. The walls were a plain white, but they were covered with posters of old bands like The Rolling Stones and Red Hot Chili Peppers. His bed was pushed up against the top right corner and was a twin sized bed. The sheets were brown and plaid. He had a desk on the other side of the room which was filled with notebooks. Across from his bed was a closet. He also has a shelf full of different CDs and books, sort of like my room. I guess we do have a lot in common.

"I love your room" I said, smiling at him.

"It's nothing special" he mumbled, sitting on his bed.

"It's interesting" I replied, sitting next to him. "What happened to your guitar?"

"Um..my dad sold it without telling me" he said quietly. "He got tired of me running around with it." He frowned, staring downward.

I think I'll get him a new guitar for his birthday.

I touched his arm and ran my fingers up and down it to calm him down.

We talked for a while and his mom eventually called us down. We went down the stairs to see she had made a cheesy type of spaghetti. We sat at the table.

"So, Ashley" she said. "How long have you and Michael been seeing each other?"

Oh, I guess I never really thought about that.

"Um.. I think maybe about two or three months."

"And Mikey never told me" she said, giving him a look.

"Mom..." He mumbled. I chuckled.

We began to eat the spaghetti, and it tasted amazing.

"This is really, really good" I said once I swallowed a bite.

"You think so? Thank you" she replied, giving me a warm smile. I returned the smile.

We ate in a comfortable silence because we were all hungry. When we finished, I helped her with the dishes, which she told me she appreciated. We finished with the dishes and all went to the living room, watching TV together. Michael got up to use the bathroom. I looked over at his mom.

"I'm..really sorry about your husband" I said, not sure if I should've brought it up or not.

"Thank you" she replied, sadly. "Michael told you?"

"Yes" I said. She gave me a small grin.

"I just want to say thanks to you because I know how Michael usually is, messing around with girls..but you're probably the only one I've ever liked" she said, chuckling a little. "But I've never seen him act this way, so he must be crazy about you."

"Yeah, I know I'm crazy about him" I replied.

"Has he ever told you he loves you?" She asked. I felt my cheeks heat up.

"Yeah" I replied, not being able to hold back a smile.

"Really?" She asked, putting a hand over her heart. I nodded and she smiled. "I can't believe this."

I smiled at her actions and Michael eventually came back out.

"Oh god, are you being sappy?" He asked us, raising an eyebrow. "Did I just walk into an episode of Doctor Phil?"

I couldn't help but to laugh. He sat down beside me and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Maybe" Courtney replied. She let out a small laugh.

For the rest of the night, we all watched TV and Courtney shared all these memories about Michael's dad (David) to me. She told me about how him and Michael wouldn't get along all the time but when they did they would make each other laugh and watch sports. I looked over at Michael and watched his different reactions. He would smile sadly at the different memories. David had died from cancer. I felt extremely sad about it and I told them about how I know exactly how it feels since my dad died from cancer. Courtney had hugged me and it was a long, comforting hug.

"Michael, what day exactly are you moving back in?" Courtney asked.

"Um..the day after tomorrow" he replied. She smiled.

"Okay. And Ashley, I would love to meet your mom" Courtney said.

"Oh..." I trailed off. Michael cleared his throat.

"Her and her mom are having a few issues..her mom doesn't want her to be with me.." He mumbled.

"What? Why?" Courtney asked.

"She doesn't trust Michael just because he has these tattoos and piercings and I guess she thinks he's some type of bad boy that will break my heart.." I rolled my eyes. "But she's making me choose between her and Michael and it's just something I can't choose between.."

"I see" Courtney replied, frowning. "Have you tried to talk to her about how you feel about Michael?"

"Yeah, she just doesn't understand" I said with a sigh.

"She'll come through, I'm sure." She rubbed my arm in a comforting matter.

"Right..well, we're going back to the cabin..." Michael said. He gave his mom a hug and I smiled. He headed out to the car.

"Thanks again" Courtney said, giving me another hug.

"It's no problem" I replied, patting her on the back. I headed out to the car with Michael.