one

They were at it again, my parents. This time it seemed so much louder and there were a lot more things being thrown around and smashed against the wall in the living room downstairs. I could hear my mom screaming at my dad, yelling at him for accusing her of cheating. But it was true, every accusation that he threw at her was true. Sometimes she came home when he wasn't and it was just me and my two brothers and sister. She'd tell us to keep it a secret that she had brought home a man that wasn't dad. Alexandra of course blurted it out, telling dad that mom had brought someone home and that they were making loud sounds in the bedroom with the door closed. The look on his face was pure heart break, and ever since that night, things had gone down south. Mom started to drink more and brought home more men than I could count on two hands. It was saddening what my family had become.

The yelling ceased and someone began to stomp up the stairs and towards their bedroom. It was either dad or mom. Maybe dad was finally growing a back bone and was refusing to let mom walk all over him. That was actually a good thing, but the matter of the fact was that in a short period of time, all of his hard work to get that woman to leave would go down the drain. Dad was too kind for his own good, I know for a fact that's where I got some of my traits from. He would kick mom out and send her on her way, but he would provide her with enough money to get her up on her feet just a little bit, but what good that would do. The money would end up wasted on drugs or alcohol, or possibly both and she'd come crawling back, begging for dad to take her back, and in the end, he'd take her. She'd guilt trip him into and he'd be too blind to see it.

It always happens.

"Where are you going?" I could hear dad's voice right outside my room.

"I'm leaving you, if that weren't obvious. You're no good, basically a well run dry." I heard mom's venomous voice say. I could already imagine dad's heartbreaking look. If he were so torn, imagine how my brothers and sister will be like when he breaks the news to us in the morning.

"You can't- you can't just leave," dad said, possibly shaking his head.

"Do I have to fucking spell it out David? I don't love you anymore, I don't want you, I'm sure there are plenty of men out there I could use, you're just nothing anymore."

I know it wasn't good to hate someone, it was like a really big deal, but I didn't care, I hated this woman. I wanted the one who gave birth to four children and tried to raise them right. I wanted the woman who used to sing me to sleep when the weather outside got bad. I wanted the woman who allowed me to sleep in her bed when I was scared that the monsters under my bed were going to get me. I wanted the woman who used to take me and my brothers and sister to the park whenever she had the chance.

I definitely wanted the woman who told us that no matter what, under any circumstances, family came first.

But obviously that woman was gone, she washed down the drain after the first time she cheated.

There was more talking but I blocked all of that out until I finally heard the front door slamming shut. I guess she was actually gone, but I wondered how long that was going to last.

。。。

Later on in the morning I woke up with dad knocking on my bedroom door, telling me to wake up. I didn't see why I should, I knew what was going to happen as soon as I got dressed and went downstairs, but it was better to get the stupid conversation out of the way instead of leaving it on hold.

I heaved a sigh as I got out of bed, heading into the bathroom that was just right across the hall from my room. I quickly took a shower, washing my hair and body before getting out and going back into my room to get dressed. I pulled on a sweatshirt, black skinny jeans and a random pair of vans then went downstairs where dad was sat with my two brothers and sister at the kitchen table as they ate breakfast.