thirty

I sat there, my hands folded together in my lap as I looked at the woman seated across from me. Neither of us spoke for a few minutes, and the longer we sat quietly, the more the nerves were building up and I felt like running out of here. I just wanted mom to speak up about whatever she wanted to meet me here for, because my heart felt like it could explode in my chest.

"I've been doing a lot of thinking lately," she started off with, which made me even more nervous, but at least it was something. "Your father has been having some issues, not only with his job, but with the twins and Alex," she told me.

"That's all you wanted to talk to me about? The fact that he was having problems?" I questioned, slightly angered. She couldn't have just said this to me at the front door earlier?

"No, that's not all, and if you would just sit quiet for a few moments maybe then you'd hear the rest of the story," she snapped a little, instantly making whatever words that were about to spit out of my mouth stay put inside. She could definitely be intimidating.

"As I was saying, your father has been having trouble, and I can tell for a fact that the twins don't want to be there, and Alex, well, she's only a little kid so she doesn't understand much, but more than anything, they want you and your father's not going to let you back, he's made that quite clear several times," she said, running fingers through his slightly matted hair. "So, again, I've been thinking a lot lately and I came up with a solution, and it's very... out of the ordinary, to say the least."

Now I was curious. I was like a little child on Christmas, waiting excitedly to open up the many presents underneath the Christmas tree.

"Okay, what's your solution?" I asked.

"There's an apartment that I own that was signed down to me by my great aunt, it's where I stay at when I leave for a few weeks to a month before your father tries to come and beg me to come back," she said, rolling her eyes, "but he doesn't know where it's at, in fact he doesn't even know about it-"

"Why does this matter?" I questioned, cutting her off.

"Because, Alan," she sighed. "For the longest time that your father and I have been together, I've never been happy. Sure, having you, Andrew, Anthony and Alex was the best thing to ever happen to me, and though it doesn't seem like, I love you all so very much, but your father?" She shook her head, staring down at the table. I almost felt bad.

"What I'm trying to say is, is that I'm working on filing for a divorce, to officiate it all and completely leave your father," she said.

I couldn't believe it. She was wanting to get a divorce? Here I thought that she was going to keep leaving and dad was going to keep begging her to come back. It was shocking, to say the least. I didn't expect any of this, honestly, but I felt relived and also nervous and angry. Why had it taken so long for this to happen? Why couldn't they had just split up the first time mom walked out, and why did all of this drama happen just for them to get a divorce in the end?

"So that's it?" I demanded to know. "You're just leaving him? You're completely leaving for good and that's that. What about us? What about Andrew and Anthony? What about Alex? I know you don't really give a damn about dad, but you're just going to leave them with him?"

"Again, Alan, if you'd just let me finish and stop jumping to damn conclusions all the time," she snapped. "I'm fighting for custody too. I know what your father can do, I've seen it and I'm not about to let my kids be stuck with him, even if I'm no better." She told me, and I was a little surprised and I also felt guilty. I knew mom was right and I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but could I really be blamed? For the longest time she just upped and left us, only to return for a short time and leave again. I just assumed she'd leave us behind again, but officially.

"What if you don't get custody? What happens then?" I asked, almost too scared to hear the answer. It's not like I'd be welcomed back anyways. Dad would just kick me out again.

"I can't tell you that really because I don't know," she said, which was a better answer than none at all. I nodded, and from there nothing else was really said. Mom explained all what would happen if she was able to get custody over us and how things would work from there.

After our conversation and after nothing else was needed to be discussed, I stood and said a goodbye before exiting the coffee shop and going to my car where Austin was still sat, looking half asleep as he scrolled through his phone.

"Hey," he said, looking at me as I climbed inside. "How'd it go?"

I didn't answer him right away, just crawled over the center console and got into his lap and straddling him as I buried my face in his neck. I just really wanted his hugs and kisses before I talked about anything. I craved the comfort.

"Don't wanna talk about it right now," I mumbled, which got me a little chuckle in return before he wrapped his arms around my waist and held me close, pressing little kisses to the side of my head and shoulder as I tried to make myself smaller, much like I had earlier.

"You're like a little koala," Austin muttered as I clung to him tighter while I thought over all what my mom had told me. It was a lot, so much that my head was beginning to ache slightly.

"Shut up, just hold me and never let me go," I begged softly. I felt a little ridiculous, but I couldn't help it.

"Of course I'll never let you go, baby," Austin promised me quietly as he prodded me slightly away to press his lips to mine. It was a reassuring kiss that was much needed. It made me feel slightly better and even more so as we sat there in the parking space, kissing and talking quietly about nothing really important, and by the time we had grown tired, we went back to Kellin's house where I explained to both Austin and Kellin what my mom had told me and what her solution- that I was really hoping would work- was to fix things.

。。。

short and not really where I planned for things to go? but it's fits better than what I had thought of originally and makes more sense than whatever I was going to do at first (: