seventeen

I stared at the white door in front of me, planning things through my head as the afternoon light shone down in front of me. Just one knock, that's all and whoever was behind it would open it. That's all it took and I couldn't do it. My heart beat was steady in my chest, but my hands were shaking and my breathing was becoming short. I didn't have to do this need. I could easily go on with my life knowing that I gave up on my brothers and sister...but I refused. Those thoughts baring down on me were one of the many reasons I stayed up all night. I dreamt of having a life without my annoying brothers and loud baby sister, but I loved that life...I needed it.

Sighing loudly, I knocked on the door and waited, running fingers through my hair. I didn't see dad's car parked in the driveway, but that didn't mean that mom wasn't here, and I really hoped she wasn't here right now. My questions were soon answered whenever I heard the lock on the door click and it opened. There stood Alex, a questioning and curious look on her face until she looked up, seeing me.

"Allycat! You're back!" She squealed loudly. I smiled and scooped her up in my arms, holding her close.

"How many times have I told you to not open up the door without looking first?" I playfully scolded her. She just giggled and wrapped her little arms tighter around my neck.

"What are you doing heres Ally? We hasn't seen you in weeks!" She said.

"I know," I said softly as I brushed some hair from her face. "Where's Andrew and Anthony?"

"They upstairs." She told me and I nodded, carrying her up the familiar stairs and heading down the hallway to the twins room. The door was wide open and I looked in, seeing them both sitting on the edges of their beds, playing a video game together. I grinned and knocked on the door, gaining their attention.

"What do you want Alex?" Andrew asked, repeatedly mashing a button.

"It's not Alex you idiots," I said. "How about you come and greet your big brother?" They both snapped their heads over to my direction. Anthony threw down his control and ran over, quickly wrapping his arms around my waist. I smiled and sat Alex on her feet so I could hug them both. Andrew stood from his bed and looked at me, almost skeptically. He ever so slowly walked over as if I weren't real and would disappear if he got close enough, but as soon as he got into arms length, I grabbed him and pulled him into our little hug.

It felt so good to hold them, to be near them again. I felt so relaxed suddenly and I couldn't help whenever my eyes began to water.

"What are you doing here?" Anthony asked, pulling away. The other two did also and I grinned sheepishly as I walked further into the room and sat down on one of the twins' bed.

"Where's dad and mom?" I asked.

"He's at work and mom's somewhere. She left sometime last night." Andrew said.

"Mommy and daddy has been fighting again." Alex said, crawling onto the bed. That wasn't much of a surprise, really. I had expected that.

"Are you coming back?" Anthony asked, all three of them looked at me with hopeful expressions, but I couldn't answer that question right away.

"I don't know, honestly." I said softly, Andrew scoffed and shook his head.

"How do you not know? You know what you promised us!" He snapped, crossing his arms.

"Yes, I know what I promised and I'm still sticking to it, but you all heard and saw what dad did and said," I told them, especially Andrew. "I'm still here, I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon."

Before anyone could speak us, there was a car door slamming shut and the front door opening. I held my breath and Alex climbed off the bed and ran out of the room. Andrew left out of the room, too, going downstairs. Anthony stood up from the bed and looked at me.