twenty-nine

"What do you want?" I demanded to know, probably more harshly than what would have been appropriate when talking to someone who was older, but my mother was the last person I ever wanted to see, along with Aunt Melissa.

"I came here to talk," she said, stuffing her hands into the pockets of her coat. I wanted to just slam the door in her face, to walk away and never look back at her, because I really didn't want to hear whatever lies came out of her mouth.

"Why? I've got nothing to say to you," I said, slowly beginning to grow angry. This woman had put us through hell, constantly leaving and coming back again and again.

"Look, Alan, I know I'm not the best mother ever, I've been a shitty one and I wouldn't be surprised if you still even consider me as your mom at this point, but you need to grow up a little. I get that you don't like me, I'm actually okay with that, but we need to speak, and I'm not leaving here until you sit down with me and do so," she snapped slightly. I felt myself coward away a little from her tone. I hadn't heard such a tone like that since I was little, and that was when I disobeyed her and ate dessert before dinner.

"Princess?" Austin called from the couch. I turned and looked over at him, seeing that he was sitting up and rubbing at his eyes with a confused look on his face. "What are you doing?"

"Come to the coffee shop in twenty minutes," mom said before she turned on heel and walked down the driveway to a car. Quickly she left, leaving me to still be stood in the doorway.

"Who was that?" Austin asked.

"My mom," I told him, sighing as I went back over to the couch and sat down.

"Oh," he mumbled, pulling me into his lap. "What'd she want?"

"She wants to meet at the coffee shop and talk," I said, pushing my head underneath his chin. Austin hummed and kissed the side of my head as he ran hands up and down my back in small circles.

"Are you going?" He asked, and to be honest, I wasn't so sure. Did I want to go and talk to her? No, not really, but not going and hearing what she had to say would make me curious and regret not ever having spoken to her. Besides, I was sure if Kellin heard about mom wanting to talk with me and I didn't go, he'd yell at me and possibly beat me up for making such a stupid decision. But he'd get over it.

"I don't know yet, she said to be there in twenty minutes," I mumbled against his neck. I really didn't want to go.

"I think you should go, maybe it'll be good for you," Austin said after a few minutes of silence. I sat back and looked at him.

"But what if it's not? What if I go there and all she does is yell at me and tell me she's glad that my dad kicked me out and off to the curb?" I questioned.

"You can't live life thinking 'what if' all the time, baby. You won't know what she wants unless you go talk to her," he said, grabbing my hips and squeezing them gently. I bit down on my lip, watching him. I knew he was right, I wouldn't know unless I went, but anything could happen and I wasn't sure if I wanted to sit down and hear what she had to say.

I sighed softly and pushed myself back against Austin's neck, closing my eyes. If only I could make myself smaller. I wished I lived in a world where nothing went wrong, where all it was, was just Austin and I, and Kellin and my brothers and sister. That would be a perfect world and I would be happy, but sadly no such world existed, sure I still had the perfect people, but it wasn't the same.

"You've got fifteen minutes Princess and I really think you should go meet with her," he told me, one hand moving from my hip and to my hair. He gently ran his fingers through the mess of ginger hair and I sighed again, pushing myself further into his neck.

Austin sighed, kissing the side of my head. "Do you want me to come with you for moral support?" He asked, I pulled away, looking at him.

"No, I think I'm just going to go alone," I said, and a small look of hurt passed his features, instantly making me feel bad. "It's not that I don't want you there Aust, because trust me, I really want you to be, but if you are, I'll just end up not wanting to talk to her more, and honestly, you'll just be a big distraction," and also because I didn't want him to meet the woman who I despised. "But you can drive me there," I added as an afterthought.

Austin smiled and shook his head as he leaned in and kissed my lips. "You're lucky you're cute," he muttered, pulling away. I grinned, kissing him again. We sat there for a few minutes, kissing until he completely pulled from me, patting my bum.

"You've got ten minutes to get to the coffee shop, and who knows how the traffic is, so come along," he said, pushing me from his lap and standing. I pouted slightly, really wishing we could just stay sat there, but I knew I wouldn't get my way.

Sighing, I stood and pulled my shoes on before I headed upstairs to Kellin's room to tell him that I was leaving and may be back by later on. He didn't really say anything to me, just waved a hand and mumbled a goodbye as he fell back asleep. Afterwards I went back downstairs and Austin was stood by the door, my car keys in his hand and a grin on his face.

I was nervous, to say the least. I sat in the passenger seat of the car and messed with the end of my shirt the entire drive over to the coffee shop. I didn't know what to expect. What could she possibly want to say to me? Had something happened to one of the twins or Alex? Surely things would be a little different if that was the case. I didn't know, and not knowing was driving me crazy, but I guess I'd figure it all out when I got there, which was quickly happening. Austin was parking the car and turning it off before looking over at me.

"Here we are," he said, undoing his seat belt as he sat back against the seat. I looked at the coffee shop, swallowing the lump that had formed in my throat. "It's gonna be fine, baby, I'll be sitting right here if you need me."

I took in a deep breath and nodded before turning and leaning over the center console to give him a kiss, which he happily did so. When we pulled apart, he gave one last encouraging smile before nudging me out the door, calling after me that it was going to be alright, and I was hoping that he was right, that it was going to be.

A bell above the door sounded as I pushed it open and a girl behind the counter greeted me as I looked around for my mom, seeing if she was anywhere to be found, and I felt my heart stop when I found out that she was, sitting over at a table near the big window, sipping on a coffee and looking around.

Slowly I walked over to her, stuffing my hands in my pockets as I did so. I could feel them shaking and sweat the closer I got to her, and when I finally stopped at the table and she looked up at me with a small smile, my heart was beating quickly in my stomach.

"Take a seat Al," was all she said, and I did.