thirteen

Kellin's jaw dropped and Austin shot up from where he was sat on the bed, looking like he was ready to kill someone, and honestly, I'd be right there with him. But the look on Kellin's face was pure shock, almost like he didn't believe me, but it was clear that he did.

"Y-Your dad?" He asked, I nodded slowly. "As in your father, David Ashby?" I nodded again and Kellin just seemed even more shock. I knew he was surprised because normally dad was so laid back, it was so obvious considering he just let mom walk all over him as she pleased, but something obviously changed and something within him snapped.

"Did he hit you anywhere else?" Austin demanded to know. I could see the fire blazing up inside him, ready to explode. I slowly shook my head, eyes casting down to the floor. I still felt so ashamed of myself, letting dad take the twins and Alex like that. I felt like I had let them down and had just left them to fend for themselves, but I couldn't do anything. No matter how many times I tried to fight, both dad and mom were quick to push my down and force me to stay.

"Alan, this looks really bad," Kellin said softly.

"I know," I mumbled, messing with the hem of my shirt. I felt weak and stupid along with ashamed and hurt.

"Vic, do you know if Aaron has any make up laying around?" Kellin asked, turning to Vic who was quietly sat on the bed. He shrugged and stood up, walking out of the room.

"I don't need any make up Kell." I said softly. He grinned and shook his head.

"Then you better start coming up with a good fight story." He told me, I grinned at him and rolled my eyes. "I'll be back in a minute." He added and walked around me and out of the room. Austin huffed and sat down on the bed, running fingers through his hair. He looked up at me, an upsetting and angry look on his face. I didn't understand why he was so upset, he had no reason to be, but I didn't question, only stared down at the floor.

"Did your dad... did he hit you anywhere else?" He asked after a few minutes of silence. I glanced up at him and held his stare, seeing that he was still looking as if he were ready to blow up.

"No, he didn't," I muttered, Austin seemed to visibly relax, but I still didn't understand. Sure, it was nice that he cared, but I didn't get why he was so worked up. I understood Kellin, but not Austin.

He stood up, causing the bed to squeak, and walked over to me, standing close, so close that I could the mixture of his cologne and alcohol. It had my stomach clenching and flopping around, causing my head to spin the closer he got. The stupid part of me thought he was going to kiss me, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. That was just ridiculous, but I wasn't exactly disappointed as he reached up and gently brushed his fingers along my skin. It was so gentle that I barely flinched. He was looking at me so deeply that I thought I was going to melt.

"This kind of makes you look like a badass, you know," he said softly. It was so strange seeing him like this; not all flirty, high or drunk. For once he was acted like a human being who was nice and caring, and I was sure he could be that, but being flirty was something that outweighed the niceness and caring.

I grinned and rolled my eyes, shaking my head. Austin bit his lip and smiled at me, gently caressing my bruised cheek. We were staring at each other and honestly, I wanted him to kiss me. I wanted him to hold me and tell me things were going to be okay, but then again I wanted to drink. I wanted to forget about today and the only way I knew how to do that was drinking. I know I promised myself I wasn't going to get as drunk as I did last time, but I could feel the alcohol calling my name, I could feel myself giving in slowly to the temptation, and I really wanted it.

"I'm going to go back downstairs...I'll be in the kitchen, come find me when you're finished here." Austin said, leaning in and pressing a long, warm kiss to my forehead. I felt many things exploding inside my stomach and head as I closed my eyes and relished in the moment. His lips felt so soft, and I wanted to know desperately what they felt against mine, but the door opened and in walked Kellin with Vic. Austin had pulled away before they saw anything and smirked at me then left.