thirty-three

I sighed, turning off the car and looking out the window at the apartment complex that my mother lived in. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go inside and see what it was like, or if I wanted to come up with a stupid idea and just leave town to get away from this all. Leaving sounded like a great idea, but knowing me, I'd probably be back later on.

"So this is the place?" Andrew asked, looking out his window at the very large building.

"Yep, this is it," I said.

"Whoa, it really tall Allycat!" Alex said from the backseat.

I had met with mom earlier this morning so she could hand them off to me. She had lied to dad, saying she would take them to school when in reality she was meeting with me to drop them off. Apparently Andrew and Anthony were begging her to let them see me, claiming that they missed me. It was unlike them, but I did miss them too.

"Yeah, it is," I said.

"Are we just going to sit here like a bunch of ducks or are we going to go inside?" Anthony questioned, obviously growing impatient. I rolled my eyes and climbed out of the car, all three of them following in tow.

We entered through the front door, going towards the elevator and heading up to the third floor where the apartment was. I had no idea why I was so nervous, but I was, and the feeling didn't seem to want to die down at all as the twins, Alex and I made our way down the hallway and to the apartment door with the big, bold numbers on it. I pulled out the key mom had given me from my pocket and stuck it into the door, turning it and pushing the door open once it unlocked.

The twins quickly pushed past me, nearly knocking me to the floor as they looked around inside. It was a really apartment, I would give that. Mom told me it held three bedrooms and one bath, along with an average sized kitchen. I hated to admit that I was already liking it here even though I'd just arrived. I guess I was a little uncomfortable with just coming to live with a woman who had abandoned us and reappeared time and time again.

"This place is awesome!" Andrew shouted from the kitchen. Alex clutched to my hand as we walked into the kitchen, seeing both Andrew and Anthony scoping out what items were in the cupboards.

"Is this the place we going to stay at Allycat?" Alex asked, looking up at me.

"Mhm," I nodded, looking around too.

"Do... do you think she's going to leave us again? Like she's done in the past?" Anthony asked, sounding almost afraid.

I gave a shrug, picking up Alex when she held her arms up. "I can't answer that. I can just say that I hope not," because I really didn't want to deal with that anymore. She was officially trying to get away from dad and she was planning on bringing us all with her, so that meant she'd have to deal with everything that came with the twins and Alex. She couldn't just walk away anymore.

For a while, we stayed and continued to look around. I snooped through the bedrooms, seeing there were already beds and dressers set up. I looked through the bathroom cabinets, mom's dresser and closet and other little trunks lying around. What could I say? I was a curious child.

By the time we left, the boys and Alex were hungry and so was I. We stopped at a burger joint, ordering our food and taking a seat at a table. Alex bounced around in her seat as she drank her small soda and munched on her fries while the twins fought over the last little bit of fries they had left to share. I couldn't help but smile at them as I felt a warm feeling fill up the inside of my stomach. It felt good to be like this again; to joke and play around like we used to before everything turned to shit.

"You've eaten like fifty! You're gonna get fat so let me have the rest." Andrew said, pushing Anthony's shoulder. Anthony rolled his eyes and punched his brother in the arm, resulting them both punching and pushing one another.