thirty-one

I CAN'T REMEMBER IF I EVER SAID THAT AUSTIN'S UNCLE OWNED THE MUSIC STORE HE WORKS AT, BUT WE'LL JUST PRETEND THAT HE DOES BECAUSE IT WORKS. alsooo just ignore the author's note a few chapters ago where I said that this would be over in a few chapters because even I don't know when this is going to end. That's all

。。。

The next few days were just a big blur. So much was happening all at once and I couldn't seem to be able to wrap my head around it all. School was still stressful as ever, Austin was being slightly weird and distant with me lately and Kellin was just being, well, Kellin, my best friend.

Ever since our talk, mom had been texting me, asking some questions about certain things. I could tell she was trying to fix up some of the mess and hate that was created over the years of her just leaving and coming back, and honestly, I didn't know how to handle it. I didn't know if I wanted her to just be apart of our lives again or not, because what if we got comfortable with her being there for us and she just upped and left again? I don't know about me, but the twins and Alex would be crushed. I didn't want that.

"You okay there Al?" Kellin asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

Currently Kellin and I were sat in the food court of the mall, eating sandwiches, but I was picking at mine. I felt hungry but I couldn't pull myself to eat. There was far too much on my mind.

"Do you think Austin and I have been spending too much time together?" I asked, looking up at him. It was something that had been bothering me all throughout the day. As of lately, Austin had been making up a lot of excuses to be away from me. I didn't know if I had done something or not, but whatever it was, it obviously bothered him enough to not want to be around me. I had been texting him, asking if things were alright or asking if he'd want to hang out, but he'd just blow me off or not reply.

"Why do you ask?" Kellin asked curiously, his head cocked slightly to the side.

"I don't know, he's just been kind of...off, I guess you could say," I muttered, picking off small pieces of bread from my sandwich.

"Have you talked to him?" Kellin asked.

"Yes, but he doesn't say much back," I told him.

"Maybe he's just tired from work?" He suggested, but I just shook my head.

"I stopped by there the other day and asked if he was around, his uncle said he hadn't come to work in the last several days," I said, and I probably sounded like a huge stalker, but I didn't care.

"Well if he doesn't talk to you anytime soon, I'll make Vic go drag him from his house so you two can talk," Kellin said, making me grin slightly. 

"Speaking of Vic, how are you two?" I asked, sipping from my drink. Kellin gave a shrug, smiling.

"It's still the same, he's a sweetie and I really like him," he said, I grinned, feeling only slightly jealous that his relationship was going so well. I mean, mine is too, but whatever is happening with Austin is the only downfall.

We finished eating and decided to look around at the opened stores.
In the end we ended up goofing around and trying on a lot of ridiculous looking clothes, giggling like idiots and nearly getting kicked out, but I was having fun, I was in a better mood than what I was in before.

"Heading home now?" Kellin asked, running fingers through his hair. We had been here for several hours now and I knew he was tired, and I was too, so I nodded and we walked out to the car, heading back to his house.

When we got back, Vic's car was parked in the driveway and I knew instantly my best friend would disappear on me to be with him, which I guess I was okay with, but because Austin was being distant with me, I didn't have anyone else to hang out with, but I didn't want to hold Kellin back from spending time with Vic.

Now I was sat alone in the guest bedroom, scrolling through social media and deciding whether or not I wanted to text Austin. I didn't know if I wanted to deal with him being short with me or not, but all I knew was that I wanted to see him, but he'd probably make up an excuse like he had been for several days now. I decided against my urges and called him, feeling very clingy and desperate. What had I become?

"Hello?" Austin answered.

"Hey," I said, biting my lip.

"Oh, hey baby, what are you doing?" He asked, the nickname lifting my spirits some.

"Nothing, I was wondering if you wanted to come by Kellin's so we could hang out?" I questioned, wanting to cross my fingers and pray that he would say yes, but no such thing happened.

"I can't, I'm working right now," he said. That was the excuse, that he was working.

"You've been working a lot lately," I mumbled.

"I know, I'm sorry, my uncle is just making me work crazy hours," he said, and I knew it was a lie. He hadn't shown up to work the last few days, his uncle had told me so.

"It's whatever," I mumbled. "What about tomorrow? We could maybe go to the movies or something."

"I don't know, I'd have to see if I'm working," Austin told me, I frowned.

"If you don't want to be around me, all you have to do is say so, Aust, you don't have to keep making excuses," I snapped slightly, feeling very annoyed. What was the problem, why was he being like this?

"I'm not..." Austin trailed off, sighing. "I know it seems bad, but I swear it's not what it seems." He promised, but I just couldn't seem to buy it.

"Then what? Did I do something? Am I being too clingy with you?" I questioned, becoming more and more frustrated.

"Of course not baby, it's just..." he trailed off again and I wanted to reach into the phone and strangle him. "Look, I really am at work, I get off in two hours and afterwards I'll swing by Kellin's and pick you, how does that sound?"

I didn't know if I wanted to say yes or no. If I said no, then I'd feel curious about whether or not he explained why he had been distant. If I said yes, maybe he'd actually explain. God, this was feeling like the whole situation with my mom again.

"Fine," I muttered, rolling my eyes. I still felt so frustrated and annoyed, and here I thought talking to Austin would make me feel a little better. It didn't.

"I'll see you in a little bit, Princess. I, um, I-I gotta go," he sounded so nervous, which in return made me nervous. What if he wanted to break up? Maybe I was being too clingy or he couldn't deal with everything that I had been pulling him into. I wouldn't blame him though, I could barely handle it myself.

"Bye," I said softly.

"Bye baby," Austin said, then hung up. I sighed and tossed my phone to the other side of the bed, feeling very defeated. Why couldn't things just be normal for once? Why did everything have to be so complicated? All I wanted to do was just curl up into a ball and go to sleep for a few days without being bombarded with everything in the world. I wanted mom to just leave me alone for more than a couple of hours and stop questioning me. For once, I really wished I was in my little perfect world without all of this. If only the world could stop for a little bit, maybe I'd be little happier.

Without much of another thought, I crawled beneath the covers of the guest bed and fell asleep, pushing all that was weighing me down to the side until it was time for Austin to arrive.