thirty-two

Silence. It was the only thing that surrounded us, except for the soft sounds of the pond water moving and the very faint sound of the crickets chirping. The sun was almost completely set, leaving many beautiful colors in the sky. Austin and I were sat side by side in the back of his uncles pick up truck that was parked right at the bank of a pond that was a little ways out of town. It was nice here and also very quiet, but I didn't want quiet, I wanted him to start talking, to explain everything.

"You okay?" Austin nudged me lightly, pulling me from my thoughts. I looked over at him, frowning slightly. Was he really that stupid or was I really that hard to read? Either way, I scoffed and rolled my eyes, once again feeling frustrated towards him.

"Do you seriously not understand? You've been pushing me to the side for days now, and when I ask if you'd like to hang out, you give me some sort of excuse. You told me that I didn't do anything to make you this way, but..." I trailed off, shaking my head.

"You didn't though, Alan, trust me," Austin said, his hand going to my thigh and giving it a comforting squeeze, but it barely comforted me.

"Then what?" I whined. "You're supposed to be able to talk to me, you're my boyfriend."

"I just didn't want to scare you away," he said very softly, so softly that I almost didn't hear him. Scare me away? What did he mean by that?

"What do you mean? Are you some kind of mutant, because if you are then I'm totally okay with that," I said jokingly, earning a small smile in return. Austin bit down on his bottom lip and looked away from me while his thumb absentmindedly rubbed back and forth against my thigh. I was beginning to grow nervous and scared as he didn't say anything for a few minutes.

"Aust, please say something," I begged quietly, staring at him intently, but he didn't look back. "Please, you really are starting to scare me."

He sighed softly and squeezed my thigh again. "I told you that I've never really been in a relationship before. I told you that when I was with someone, it wasn't anything serious, just us screwing around, and being with you, it's been different." He said, making my heart drop into my stomach. Where was this going? It seemed to me like it was going in one direction.

"Wait, are you breaking up with me?" I asked, nervously awaiting the answer. Austin's head snapped up and he looked at me with wide eyes, so wide that I thought they were going to pop out of his head.

"What?! No! Why would you think such a thing?" He demanded to know, his hand gripping at my thigh. "No, that's not what I was saying at all!"

"Well, you're not exactly being clear here," I mumbled.

"No, Princess, I'm not breaking up with you, I plan on keeping you around for as long as you'll have me," he said, a small smile on his lips. I felt my heart flutter, but that didn't stop the curiosity.

"So why are we out here?" I asked, fiddling with the sleeve of his jacket.
"Because I love you," he mumbled, and once again my heart dropped into my stomach and I was left breathless. Did I hear him correctly? Certainly not.

"Y-You what?" I sputtered, looking at him like he had grown two heads. It might have not been the best reaction or what he was looking for, but it wasn't every day that I got told by someone that they loved me, and I certainly didn't expect it out of Austin.

"I love you, and I know we haven't been together for that long, but I've never felt this way for anyone before and I'm not too sure what love feels like, but I just know that when I look at you, I see absolute beauty and I see a boy who deserves the world and tries hard to keep his head up whenever people are trying to push him down. I don't have a big speech prepared to announce my dying love for you, but I just know that I love you," he rambled, sounding very adorable throughout it all, but it still didn't calm my beating heart.

"You brought me all the way out here to tell me you loved me?!" I snapped, slapping his arm. Austin looked surprised, and again, it probably wasn't the reaction he was expecting- and what he was expecting was for me to either be happy and say it back, or be completely scared, which I wasn't.

"I didn't know what else to do, I figured this was better than telling you over the phone," he muttered, sounding very bashful.

"Is this why you've been distant with me? Because you love me?" I asked, Austin gave a little nod.

"I just didn't want to scare you away. Hell, I even scared myself when I first realized that I love you, but I thought that maybe if I were to be away from you for a few days, maybe my feelings would change a little, but being away from you just killed me even more and, I don't know..." he rambled on again, and I couldn't help but smile. He sure could be cute.

"You're adorable," I mumbled, leaning in and pressing a kiss to his lips. Austin sighed and relaxed, kissing me back.

"So wait," he pulled back, looking at me with the little sunlight we had left before it was completely dark, "how do you feel? Do you...you know, love me, too?"

Did I love him back? I hadn't thought about that, but I knew I had strong feelings for him.

"Yes, I love you, too, Austin," I said, grinning. Austin's entire face lit up, leaving me to have fuzzy, warm feelings in the pit of my stomach as he crashed his lips against mine. I could barely keep up as I kissed him back, wrapping my arms around his neck as he pushed me to lay down in the bed of the truck. He laid on top of me, kissing me with so much force and passion that I was beginning to lose my breath.

"A-Aust," I mumbled, pulling away from him. He didn't answer, only moved his lips to my neck where he began to lightly nip and suck. My body was tingling and I never wanted the feeling to leave.

"You're too perfect for me," Austin muttered against my skin as he kissed his way back up, except he didn't kiss me, he rested his forehead against mine, breathing heavily.

The night couldn't have possibly gotten any better. We laid there for hours, his arms around me and holding me close as we kissed and looked at the stars. It was like a cliché, romantic movie, but I didn't really care. I was with Austin, I was happy, I was in love, and even if us knowing each other and being together hadn't been very long, I wouldn't trade it for the world.