♛ 5 ♛

The preparations for the ball were happening in every corner of the palace. The food, clothing, and invitations had been made and sent beforehand for all the royal families out there. Mary-Jane, who really wanted to wear a fancy gown, was busy dressing up the queen. The theme was 'Masquerade', which meant every server had a chance to slip in with a mask and dance the night away.

I, on the other hand, was sulking from what happened yesterday. Olivia thinks of me as a friend, but I'm in love with her man.

"So your name is Iris."

I turned around and saw Jonathan eating a banana. I bowed my head and bit my lip as I looked at the ground. What's with him and fruits?

"Are you done with work?" he asked, taking small steps towards me. I looked up to the right and only saw one decoration that I put up. Jonathan started laughing as he stared at my progress.

"Um, is there anything I can help you with?" I asked, trying to get him to leave me alone. He raised his eyebrow in amusement and gave me a smirk.

"As a matter of fact, you can. I need a lady for the ball, would you be so kind to come to my side?" he held his hand out like a gentleman.

"You can pick somebody else. Servers aren't allowed to be seen with-," I stopped and eyed his ripped jeans and a black t-shirt,"--royal people?"

He shoved his hands in his pockets and sighed. His facial expressions seemed like he was hiding something. I narrowed my eyes at him and looked at him with suspicion.

"I guess if you don't come with me then I'm going to have to tell Aiden that you lik-" I cupped my hand on his mouth and looked around to see if anybody heard that. I could feel him smile under my palm.

"I'll come with you, but, please don't tell anybody about that!" I whispered cautiously. He removed my hand from his mouth and snapped his fingers. A butler walked in holding a big box that had a ribbon on it. He kept smirking as the butler handed me the package. I looked at him suspiciously and slowly opened the big box.

"A dress?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows. It was folded perfectly and very neatly. A black coloured mask with a lot of floral patterns and designs was laying on top of the dress. I looked up ar Jonathan in awe, and he just turned his head like he won an argument.

"Wear this tonight. Don't be late." And with that, he walked away with his butler. I held the box tightly as I walked back to the dorm. I can't believe he would go this far, and we just met.

I hid the box somewhere safe and energized myself to finish the rest of the preparations. After finishing, I can finally relax and enjoy myself. I put on a victory face and walked out of the dorm.

When I returned back to my dorm, I saw Mary-Jane getting ready for the ball. I stared at her funny appearance and started laughing. She stopped apply powder to her face and looked at me with a nasty face.

"I'm not a makeup professional Iris!" she said placing the product on the table. She huffed and crossed her arms.

To be honest, I didn't know how to apply makeup either. I felt bad for laughing at Mary Jane so I gave her a back hug as we looked in the mirror.

"You are beautiful Mary," I said, putting an immediate smile on her face. "But you look like a clown!"

I ran around the room laughing as Mary Jane threw pillows at me with anger. We both ended up making a mess and laying down on our beds. We heard a soft knock on the door, which made us sit up in curiosity.

"HELLO!" A man barged with a big fancy box. "My darlings, why so serious?"

He carried a feminine persona and a very broad vocabulary. Mary Jane stared at him in awe but he just brushed it off and placed the box on top of the cabinet.

"My kitties! Come to Papa!"

"Papa?" Mary-Jane asked questionably.

"Oh for God's sakes! I'm here to give you disgusting rags a makeover for the ball." His tone suddenly changed to a manly one as he placed his hands on his hips and tapped his shoe on the ground. What a gentleman.

Mary-Jane and I were both dragged to our seats as 'Papa' examined our faces. He instructed his assistants to bring some makeup supplies and scissors.

"Wait! Why do we need scissors?" Mary-Jane asked out of the blue. He gave her a serious look and let out a big sigh.

"Is she always this annoying?" he asked facing me. I looked at Mary and laughed as she gave 'Papa' an irritated look.

Once the assistants were back, 'Papa' got started on our faces and hair right away. Even though I enjoyed the beauty treatment we were receiving, I was also wondering who hired such professional makeup artists to doll us up. It can't be Aiden. Was it perhaps Jonathan? He did get me that dress, so it can be possible, right?

"Okay my kittens, Papa is done!" he exclaimed. I turned my head towards Mary-Jane, who turned hers toward mine. Our eyes went wide in shock and our jaws dropped to the floor. Mary-Jane looked beautiful, even though she already is, but she looks like a princess.

"Iris, I don't think you should take your make up off. You look so gorgeous!" she said. I told her the same as tears sprung up in her eyes. It's sad to see that Mary's self-esteem was low, even though she is one of the most beautiful servants in the palace.

"Darling, you're gonna ruin my masterpiece," 'Papa' said patting her shoulder. "My assistants will help you get dressed for the ball. Papa will see you there!" He danced out the door and shut it behind him.

The assistant who was in charge of me was Holly. She kept a light conversation with me as I walked towards the box. Once I took it out of the safe place, I opened the lid, leaving Holly in awe.

"How did you afford this?" she asked, carefully taking out the dress. She examined every sequin and looked back at me. "This is from M.A.M.A. 2021 Fall Collection! Only a lucky person can find this rare piece."

"Uh, well, it was a gift from a friend," I said, scratching my elbow. She gave me an impressed look and asked me to go change behind the folding screen. I nodded and walked behind it and sighed as I looked at the dress. Does Jonathan like me or something?

I stripped out of my clothes, going downwards because I didn't want to ruin my hair. I easily slipped on the dress and walked back to Holly who stared at me in wonder. I asked her to zip it up and she did, still in shock.

"That dress looks amazing on you. Your friend must really love you!" She said giving me a thumbs up.

I blushed at her comment and picked up the mask from the box. I stared at the beautiful piece and placed it on my face. Holly tied the ribbon from the back and fixed up the wrinkles on my dress.

"It will be really easy to find your dance partner," she said, which made me turn around and look at her confusedly.

"What do you mean?"

"Your dance partner has the same mask as you. No one else can possess the same mask as you and your partner."

 I licked my lips and nodded slowly. She gave me a big smile and led me to the door. Mary-Jane was getting ready, or probably done by now.

"Your friend is already at the ball, I suggest we hurry up!" she said leading me to the grand hall. I stopped at the front doors as Holly joined her assistant friends somewhere else. Okay, I can do this. Breathe in and out. Who knows, maybe I'll dance with Aiden?

"Let's do this."

_____________

vote / comment / share. I'll see u in the next chapter :)