♛ 12 ♛

Living with Aiden was a complete disaster.

Every second I spent with him would consist of arguing, fighting, maybe a little hair pulling too. If we were not together at a time, we would still be mouthing bad words about each other. Or at least that's what I've heard from other servants. Of course with every "marriage" you have the snide remarks. Every time I tried doing my job in the palace as a maid, the others would give me nasty looks or sometimes mop the floor wet, which caused me to slip a few times. They were jealous of a fake, broken marriage.

What a joke.

Mary-Jane had a taken a week off to see her family in the city. She kept on blabbering about how excited she was to meet her 12th or 13th brother or something. She grew up in a large family with mostly men, her brothers and her dad. The feminine influence on her came from the all-girls school she attended. I'm surprised she could even stay the way she is now.

"Iris, your assistance is required upstairs in the Prince's bedroom."

I choked on my own spit as Anna, one of the maids, said. His bedroom? I've been there before, never ended well for me. I shuffled around in the kitchen, trying to distract myself and Anna so she can leave.

"Um Iris-"

"Anna why don't we go clean the outside of the- the outside of-"

"The palace?" Anna finished for me. I raised my eyebrows in joy as she guessed what I was going to say. I paced towards her and put both my hands on her shoulders and turned her around. We walked towards the doorway of the kitchen as I planned out how to avoid Aiden. As I opened the door, the devil himself was standing in front of it with a cocky expression. Now who does that remind me of?

"Prince Aiden!" Anna quickly shrugged me off and bowed. I looked at poor Anna and sighed. Aiden gestured for her to leave, which left me and Satan alone. I rolled my eyes and looked to the side as I crossed my arms.

"I hate your shoes."

"What?" I said jolting my head towards him. His hands were in his pants pocket as he stood with a straight figure. He eyes moved down to my shoes then back up to me, and then he scoffed. I was taken back by his expression.

"Oh yeah? Well, I don't like your- your-"

"My what Iris? Am I too perfect?"

I narrowed my eyes and walked off. I heard him follow behind me, which caused a victory smirk on my face, as I continued walking down the long, very long for some reason, hall. The squeaky sound of the shoes suddenly disappeared from behind me. I stopped in my stop and turned around. Where'd he go? I traced back my steps and checked side to side, since they were more corridors on each side of the middle hallway.

"Aiden?" My voice echoed. This jerk is playing games again. Last week, he locked me in his office because I was complaining too much about the contract. He locked me for three hours! Three hours in that stupid Victorian era decorated office. Of course I had to mess up something, so I took his favorite vase and hid it somewhere he won't ever find it. Serves him right!

The lights went out as I heard echoes of somebody's voice far, far down the hall. I gulped down the ball of tears that were building up in my throat. I hated the dark. Ever since the death of my mother, I stopped myself from associating with anything that brought darkness to me, even a light bulb going off. I hated the dark, I hated it, hated it, hated it!