♛ 7 ♛

The morning after the ball, I tried ignoring every chore that involved Aiden. My head couldn't take in the drama that took place yesterday. Yes I have a major crush on him, but I also felt like he was a pretentious jerk.

I sighed for like the hundredth time and shook out the wet laundry. I hung them on the drying line and secured them with clothespins.

"So you actually work?"

I turned my head to the right and saw a silhouette through the white sheets. I tilted my head to get a better look of the figure.

"Who's there?" I said, walking towards the mysterious voice. Suddenly somebody grabbed my wrist and pulled me close to them. I look up and meet a blue pair of eyes that belonged to Prince Aiden.

"There's about fifty bed sheets hanging on the line. How did you manage?" He asked. He was still holding my wrist and I was against his chest as my breathing quickened.

"Um, skills?" I said, not breaking eye contact. He let go and examined the sight. I stood awkwardly with my hands in my jeans pocket.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked. He should obviously have a reason to show up out of the blue.

"I need to get away from my mother."

I nodded slowly and looked around. I closed my eyes in exasperation and sighed. The memories from yesterday flowed back like an open dam.

"Do you know a place where I can have -" he took a step closer to me, "- fun?" He raised his right eyebrow and then lowered it. I gulped and laughed nervously.

"Fun? I don't do anything that involves 'fun'," I said, quoting fun with my hands. He scoffed and ran his hands through his hair.

"Then I guess I'll just figure something out myself," he stated. He turned on his heels and walked towards the exist of the roof.

"Wait!" I said. What the hell am I doing? He turned around and raised his eyebrows questionably.

"I know a place."

-

"I question your idea of 'fun', Iris."

I gave him a sheepishly smile as we stood outside a small carnival entrance. The Ferris wheel seemed to be working and so were the vending machines.

"C'mon, it can't be that bad!" I said looking at him. He gulped and closed his eyes. So dramatic.

"I do not want to attend this commoner festivity!" He demanded. I rolled my eyes and took a black cap out of my bag. I placed it on his head, catching him by surprise. He fixed it on his head and gave me a confused look. I took out a woolen scarf, that Mary knitted for me, and wrapped it around his neck.

He looked at me like an innocent baby, causing me to smile. Although he was a stressed out heir, he had some softness in his heart. After losing his father, I can feel the pain he went through.

"Are you ready? Nobody will recognize you and you can have fun too!" I said pointing to his cap and the scarf. We slowly walked through the gates of the event, looking around the place.

It was a warm spring day: perfect for a trip at the fair. The sky was dotted with a few candy-floss clouds. A few customers were becoming increasingly excited and impatient as they took a few steps forward every so often. Faint music could be heard from the circus tent. There was a juggler juggling apples on the right as he handed one to a little girl. The cotton candy worker was spinning the stick round and round as the fluffy pink sugar wrapped itself around the it.

"I want some."

I looked at Aiden with a surprised face as he drooled over the delicious treat. We walked towards it and examined all the different flavors. Aiden fiddled with the fabric of his scarf, readjusting the piece to cover his identity.