♛ 23 ♛

MATURE CONTENT

I blew into another one of the million balloons that filled up the grand hall like gumdrops. My jaw was hurting from all the inhaling and exhaling into the balloons. My fingers had red scars embedded into them from the knots. My hair was a big nest of strands sticking out. The queen was going all out for her birthday, wasn't she?

"Looks good."

I took my eyes of the balloon and glanced up at Alex wandering in with his hands in his pant pockets. He took the ray bans off and placed them on top of his head. I sighed and took a seat on the ground as the balloons surrounded me.

"Who's idea was this?" I asked with evident irritation. Alex chuckled and scrunched up his nose.

"Believe it or not, it was Aiden's. He wanted our mother to have a good time considering all the stress her sons had been causing her." He laughed at the end and took a seat next to me. I gave him a forlorn look and hugged a balloon to my chest.

"Is he doing okay?" I questioned Alex as he kicked a balloon near his feet.

"Probably." He swerved his head towards me and examined my mental state. His hand reached out and patted down my hair. I cowered under his touch as he continued fixing my hair. "You look like a mess." He stopped when we both made eye contact. I pouted which made him clear his throat and blinked several times. He quickly seized a balloon and threw it at my face. I scoffed and launched one back. We kept forcing balloons at eachother as if it would cause us harm. I'm pretty sure Alex stepped on a few and popped them as well.

"Would you keep it down?"

We whipped our heads towards the door, balloons in our hands and ready to fire at eachother. Aiden stood in the doorway with an annoyed expression. I quickly tossed it on the ground and shuffled with my hands. I noticed a few men standing behind him and eyeing me up and down.

"Is this your fianceé, Ai?" The blonde one asked in a displeased tone. As if he just walked up on a joke. I looked away but back at Aiden to see if he would do anything. Instead, he just stood there piercing his eyes at me with a tired look. A few of them snickered in the back which made Aiden walk through them and up the stairs to his office. An eerie silence spread across the room.

"Don't listen to those idiots Iris. They have nothing but money to make themselves happy," Alex said out of nowhere. I smiled up at him and went back to doing my job. I felt him look at me for the longest time before exiting the room himself.

----------

"I am so nervous." This was the hundredth time Mary-Jane had exclaimed about the party. "Do I look okay? I can't believe Jonathan asked me to go with him! I thought he was going to ask someone else. I mean think about it I am just an-"

"Mary, calm down," I said gently. I placed my hands on her cheeks and gave her a motivating smile.

"I hate you for not coming to the party. Why'd you even change your mind?" She asked turning to the mirror and fixing her hair. I sat on the bed and folded the clean laundry. Claire was taking her sweet time in the shower so we both knew she wouldn't be out for another hour or so.

"I told you already."

"Yeah, yeah. I don't want to see Aiden, blah, blah, blah," she mocked back. I chuckled at her portrayal. "If anything happens I'll let you know. I hope there's a fight!" She squealed with excitement.

"Why would you hope for that?" I asked in confusion. She let out a dreamy sigh and took a seat next to me with the back of her hand on her forehead.

"We need some drama, some romance, something so daring to spice up this servant life!" She announced dramatically. I furrowed my eyebrows and smiled at her stupidity.