♛ 35 ♛

Aiden's POV

My eyes bored into the scattered pile of unwritten letters on my desk that were about to be thrown out. I leaned forward in my chair and read over the same one again.

Iris,

Where are you?

I knew where she was, but when was she returning? She should've found her dad by now. She should've been near me. Why did I let her go?

"Thinking hard, are we?"

I looked up from my thoughts and saw Ingrid standing by the doorway. Her arms crossed and her head tilted as she inspected me. I covered the letters with a book and gave her a small smile.

"What brings you here?" I asked leaning back in my chair. She swung her arms back and forth and glanced around.

"Well, I just thought maybe I could cook something. For you." She stopped in front of my desk with a pursed smile. My mouth parted to say something, but she cut me off. "I mean we don't have to eat. Like together. I mean we can, but if you're busy- ok this was stupid!" She turned around, but I rose up.

"Wait!" I exclaimed, making her turn around and play with her fingers. "I am starving." I gave her motivating smile which she returned.

"Perfect. You won't regret it! I can make an amazing pasta and this type of bread-"

"Okay, okay," I chuckled and spun her around and gave her a slight push out the door. "Go now."

"Seven?"

"Yeah, sure."

She nodded and skipped out the door, closing it behind her. My eyes linger at the door for a bit, and with a laugh, I turn back to the office.

Grabbing the tablet on my desk, I scrolled through the news about the daily news of the lands. It seemed as if the second land was doing very well considering how much of our help they needed.

Without thinking, I clicked on land seven. It was the same old corruption and destruction. At least Iris' father was still the second hand to Elior. That means Iris is safe and being her usual self.

A smile cracked on my face at the thought of her clumsiness. She's probably running around and helping people and talking ill to her father about Elior. Maybe she's wearing a dress and has her red hair flowing down.

Just being the princess, she is.

My eyes shut at the image of her smiling and saying my name and running in a field and kissing me and how I wish she were with me right now.

__

"Hello, sleepy head?"

A series of snaps near my ear caused me to flutter my eyes open and land them on a plate of pasta. Ingrid scattered back to her seat that was placed from across my desk.

"What's the candle for?" I asked pointing to the burning flame between our plates.

"Oh- uh just decoration. I'll take it out," she whispered the last part and blew it out before I could stop her. She chuckled nervously and gestured me to take a bite.

I picked up the fork and twisted it, picking up the long strands of spaghetti. She watched as I took a bite, which was terrific.

"This is great!" I said with a mouth full. She clapped her hands excitedly and took a big bite herself before frowning. "What's wrong?"

"I didn't put enough salt. I'm not always like this, I usually get all the ingredients correct-"

"Hey, hey," I whispered, calming her down. "It's okay. It's well made." I gave her a reassuring smile as she took another mouthful to make sure.