♛ 39 ♛

The bright sunlight pierced through the autumn leaves and onto my eyelids making me stir up. I covered my eyes and looked around for Elior. The blanket covered his sleeping face which made me calm down a bit.

He didn't leave.

Did I want him to leave? The answer to that wasn't coming to my mind.

After standing up and going over to him, I squatted down and gave him a push on his shoulder making him wake up with a jolt. He looked at me with fear and hurt in his eyes, but then calmed down.

"Did you have a nightmare?" I asked taking away the blanket which I was expecting to be on me this morning. But then again-

He isn't Aiden.

"Worse," he said standing up in pain. "Ever since you stabbed me, I've been having these weird dreams that surround me whenever I sleep."

"Whatever. We need to move." I pulled out my tablet and opened the compass app that was a hologram in front of me. I picked up my bag and walked straight that was the east direction. That is where the border of Alexandria was.

All the lands were connected to eachother. If you go south, you enter Land Three. If you travelled northeast, you are headed towards Land Five. In this case, east led to Land One.

"I've been thinking," Elior started.

"I don't care."

"Let me at least finish," he sighed, "- I should have a weapon."

"In your weird dreams," I scoffed at his request as we continued walking.

"If you change your mind, I could be quiet valuable on a bow and arrow."

"Not gonna happen."

The next five hours we hiked, the only sound coming from the compass as it led us. My eyes kept dropping and burning with the lack of sleep I had been getting.

"I see something. A cabin." Elior pointed towards the opposite direction where a small cabin stood. My eyes opened wide as we jogged towards it. We both looked at eachother and then back at the wooden shelter. "We should take rest. You look like shit."

"Thanks for pointing that out asshole," I said walking up the steps of the cabin. It looked clean but abandoned. "Open it."

"Why me?" he complained.

"Because, if something jumps out, it kills you first," I explained with a fake smile which made him roll his eyes and carefully open the door. "It's safe."

After walking into the house, I dropped my bag and strolled towards the fireplace. Thankfully, there was wood inside and a box of matchsticks in the kitchen cabinet. After a few flicks, the matchstick lit up, and I threw in a piece of cloth, and that lit up with fire.

"So there is good news and bad news," Elior announced walking down the staircase which led to the bathroom and bedroom. "The good news is, the water pipes work. The bad news is, there is only one bed."

"I'll take the bed. You can take the floor. Problem solved." I blew on the matchstick causing it to extinguish.

"With this wound, I think I should take the bed," he said coming close to the fire and rubbing his hands to warm them. I sighed at the sight of an empty living room. There was no couch and no food in the fridge.

But someone did live here, and they probably left a few months ago.

"We'll share it." I turned towards the fire to warm my hands as well. "The bed. We'll share it."

"I'm not sleeping with you," he said while adding a scoff.

"Then you can kindly take the floor." I sit down and pull the blanket out and over me. I hear him sigh in frustration and take a seat next to me. The fire showed off its beautiful gradients of orange, yellow, and red.