Chapter Three

Sophia stood there, looking at the man who changed her life back then. He looked different, more mature and handsome. With his back to her, he crossed his arms over his hard muscular chest, making his muscles tense. Glaring at this Greek god who stood in front of her, Sophia couldn't help but check him out. His black erect figure , lean as a iron rod. She didn't have to look into his eyes, to know those steel blue ones were already hiding something.

''What personal work?'' She asked him trying not to sound rude, oh who was she kidding? She wanted  to sound as rude as she could.
''You see,'' He walked over to the large window pane, looking outside at the grey clouds as the thunder roared throughout the city, ''My personal life has nothing to do with you so you should not be concerned about it, Mrs. Morin''  He looked towards his right, towards an empty shelf ''Let's get to the point, shall we?'' His voice was so deep it made her breath hitch.  ''I'm the new CEO of this company. The previous ones were rather lazy, if i might say, indolent'' He turned around and a sudden thunder lightened the room, making her look directly into his stormy blue eyes. His chiseled face structure gave him a look like one of the Greek gods that is heavenly.  The sound of his voice brought her back to reality '' .....And will look after this company from now on'' He finished his sentence with a small smirk playing on her lips. Sophia looked at him, his face was as blank as a paper but even the paper has lines drawn.
''Yes Sir'' She replied, keeping her conversation with him as short as possible. Suddenly the door burst open and a small little girl ran inside ''Look mommy I drew a perfect sun! Uncle Andy look I-'' But her sentence was cut short as she saw another man standing in front of her instead of her uncle Andy. Sophia took a step forward, quickly taking a hold of her daughter's hand. ''Serenity, go I'll be back soon..'' She held onto her shoulders and forced her to turn around, but suddenly was stopped by the male's voice ''Oh hello there, Serenity.'' His voice suddenly softened which made Sophia's body tense. Serenity turned around slowly  looking at the man that stood in front of her. ''Where is uncle Andy?'' she asked and walked closer to the table ''He used to be here..'' She looked around, clearly disappointed to not find her uncle there. The man walked towards the little kid and leaned down, slowly smiling at her ''He's on vacation'' He replied. Sophia rolled her eyes . What a prefect liar! Serenity looked at the man leaning in a bit, ''Oh I know you!'' She gasped, making both of them stiffen. Sophia felt her stomach churn with anxiety ''I saw you at aunt Elizabeth's wedding!'' She replied excitedly.

''Yes. I am. '' He replied now standing up and ruffling her soft  blonde hair.

''That's how you know my name!'' Serenity beamed, like she just solved her own  puzzle. Sophia instantly and absolutely  mistrusted and him . Sophia finally decided to stop this conversation , ''Serenity, we are in the middle of and important discussion. You may leave'' She used her 'boss' tone on her own daughter and regretted it as soon as Serenity turned around and looked at her with wide eyes. ''Yes mommy..'' She clutched the drawing book tightly to her body and ran out of the cabin.

''That was harsh Mrs Morin'' Conner said, his voice back to normal. Long gone was the sweetness he used to converse with Serenity. He turned around and walked over to his desk, leaning against  it. ''You know, you've grown even more beautiful'' He commented , but it seemed like it was more to it ''Just like a hooker does with all that make up'' He chuckled. Sophia looked at him with her eyes wide. Something inside her ticked. ''What did you just say?'' She said slowly, so that every word came out loud and clear. ''Oh you heard me. Didn't you?'' He crossed his arms over his chest. ''You may leave. I've got no time for hookers.'' He chuckled again. Sophia did everything she could to not march up to him and strangle his neck.
She turned around, her fingers curled up into fists she marched up to the door and swung it open ,  but before leaving she knew she had to give him a proper answer ''It takes a cheap hooker to understand another one'' With that she walked out , a smirk plastered on her face.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

''Ah! Mrs Morin! It's nice to meet you!'' Elle, Serenity's teacher and also their neighbor stepped in front of the both of them, blocking their way. Sophia eyed her up and down, why did she stop them all of a sudden? She felt Serenity stiffen by her side, she looked down at her confused. What's wrong with Serenity?  ''Nice to meet you too Elle'' Sophia replied, but her face was void of any emotion. Elle , not doubt was an extremely good teacher and loved children but her presence made her daughter scared, and Sophia would not let this pass. ''Bub, why don't you go home? I'll be right there'' She patted her head and Serenity just ran inside, not looking back .
''What's wrong?'' Elle asked Sophia  worriedly . Sophia in return glared at her, ''You tell  me Elle, what's wrong? '' She crossed her arms over her chest.
''What do you mean Mrs Morin?'' Elle asked confused. Sophia looked at her, she really did look clueless. ''Uh-nothing.'' Sophia replied looking back at her house.

''I just wanted to know if you're okay Mrs Morin?'' Elle smiled at her sympathetically . not it was Sophia's turn to get confused ''I'm okay , Why would you ask that?

''Oh, last week when you didn't show up for  the parents meet I asked Serenity about it, she said you had high fever'' Elle kept a hand on her shoulder . Sophia looked at her stunned, what meeting was she talking about? Serenity never told her about anything! She looked back at her house , her daughter never lied to her! But why did she hide this from her? did she forget? her thoughts were interrupted by Elle,'' ...I must say she was a really good student. But now, she seems lost. She got into a fight with another fellow student this Monday and her grades are falling down rapidly. Please  talk to her about it ma'am, we don't want to lose a bright child like her'' With that Elle walked away, leaving a shocked Sophia behind.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

''Why did you lie Serenity!'' Sophia yelled, slamming her fists on the table. This was her first outburst on her daughter. She never yelled on her, what ever the reason was. But she never , ever raised her voice on her. She wanted to be a perfect role model. ''Speak up!'' She groaned, her hand were off the table rubbing her face. ''Please..''She whispered.  Today was the most dreadful day of her life. First she met the man she hated with all her guts and now she comes to know her daughter lied to her for the first time. Wait, she didn't know if it was the first time she had lied to her, it could've been the hundredth time for god knows!
''Mommy..'' Serenity whispered, tears streamed down her face. ''Please don't be angry..'' She begged. Seeing her mom like this made her terrified of her. she was always calm and composed. She never raised her voice at her, even if she did something wrong. she made her understood every good and bad things with patience. ''Serenity, answer me! why did you not tell me about the meeting and you got into a fight? For heaven sake your just 6! Why would you hide this from me?''  She pulled out a chair and sat on it. She knew what Serenity did wasn't that much of a mistake, but she was angry. Angry on her, angry on Richard, angry on that sick man and most of all, angry on herself. How could she let everything break in front of her eyes? How could her prefect world fall apart? After all the things she went through, she finally had the family she deserved.  Then why would everything suddenly just.. vanish?

''Mommy, I thought you would...scold me'' She sobbed looking at her angry mother. ''Scold you? I would never scold you if you tell me the truth! Then why did you lie?'' She asked ''I don't gave a dam- I mean I don't care about your marks! They don't define your character, but your actions does!'' She frowned. ''Please don't lie to me again. If you go straight down from an A to a -C don't come down to me crying with you mark-sheet, come to me with your problems. I'll do my best to solve them  but just don't lie to me. Lying is not acceptable'' Sophia whispered the last part.

''Then why did you lie mommy?'' Serenity looked up into her mother's green eyes. ''Why did you say dad's out of country when he comes home every night and yells at you?''