Chapter Twenty Eight

Betrayal.

The only word that could describe how terrible Sophia felt. All those smiling faces looked at her in a way tha made her feel pathetic.

Her inner voice screamed at her, her eyes didn't allow her to look into those perilous blue eyes which she started to grow so fond of. Or even the eyes the monster who tried to harm her not a week ago.

"Did you bring the file?" Conner sat on his chair with a smile on his face and Sophia hated it. She felt despondent, disgusted with this man. She trusted him, then why was he testing her this way? Bringing her ex-husband in front of her after he tried to hurt her? Why bother saving her when Conner himself made her feel dead inside

Sophia took a deep breath, no she can not lose to them now. She had to fight them and their egos.

All for her daughter.

"Yes sir" She walked over to him and slammed the file on the table instead of handling it to him. "Anything else?" She turned around to face Conner with venom in voice and hatred in her eyes. Conner looked taken aback, for the first time he looked confused.

"No. You can leave"

She gav him a curt nod and walked out of the cabin, closing the door behind her.

Not even a second passed, she ran to her cabin not even caring how people looked at her. She could later tell them she felt like puking and wasn't well.

She closed the door behind her making sure no one could come in. Her heart was hammering inside her chest, it felt like her heart would explode any moment.

Richard was there. He was just a few cabins away, sitting like he owned the place. Like he did not just try to assault her, hurt her, he was calm and composed, giving her that smile, the same sick twisted smile.

Sophia took a deep breath and walked over to her her chair and sat down with her head in her hands. She didn't want to cry but it was getting harder and harder by the second. All those flashbacks made her heart ache and with all the over thinking, she knew a head ache was on it's way.

A sudden knock made her blood run cold. The possibility of Richard standing on the other side made her want to run away from her cabin. The knock came again, this time she stood up with such force that her chair fell backwards. Her hands shivered as she took breath after breath trying to calm down.
"Whose there!" She called out, her voice came out low and scared. Anyone could tell that it wasn't her regular confident voice.

"It's me, Christian"

Sophia had never been so relieved with the mention of his name.

She walked over the the door "Coming" she said out loud, panting and recovering herself.
She opened the door and stepped aside. Christian John and Jacob were quick enough to enter her cabin.

This time she stopped herself from locking the door, Richard won't try something in front of them ..would he?

"I thought you were not supposed to be here, you know hiding and watching over me was your thing" Sophia walked over to her chair and sat down, avoiding their eyes.
"Jacob, it's nice to see you" And it was. She hardly saw him but he was the one who talked the least compared  to his brothers and that was exactly what she wanted right now.

"Are you okay?"

And that's when Sophia looked up. Was she okay?

"I am."

She kept her answer short and her composure calm. It was funny how bad she felt for herself yet telling and sharing wasn't her thing.

Christian and Jacob shared a look, which she noticed. And im that moment she knew, they know.