Chapter Thirty Four

||Finalllllly.  Read the previous chapters so you know what went down. Ily buttercups. ||

Sophia walked down the almost occupied hallway, her hair cascading down her back in soft loose ringlets. With her purse draped around her left shoulder her slender arms wrapped around the compact files keeping them in place.
"Sophia! Sophia!" Her ears picked up at a distant voice calling out for her amidst the crowded place.
Turning around, her hazel eyes wandered around the place before settling down on Matt who almost jogged over to her with an apprehensive look on his face.
Once he reached a few feet away, she looked back at him with an amused smile. "Slow down, Matt. Is everything alright?" She inquired in a somewhat identical tone to his expressions.

"I'm sweating like a glazed donut. My man-boobs were all over the place with that marathon running and I-I can't breath. Am I fine?" He rolled her eyes, inclining forward and placing both his hands flat against his knees, his chest heaving up and down trying to catch his breath.

"I can see that very well." Sophia chuckled, hoisting her arm and placing it on his back, patting it comfortingly. "Is everything alright?" She inquired.

"Well for starters, the presentation that was supposed to take place this Friday, is canceled and will be held this afternoon itself. That too with some different clients and their unknown associates."

"What! Why happened the William and Company?" She asked, appalled with the sudden change.

"They bailed out on us at the last minute because some other large firm offered a bigger amount and better security. We're doomed if Conner finds out about this!"

"Wait-Conner doesn't know? How do you plan on explaining this to him? He'll go ballistic!" She asked, lifting her arm and wrapping her hand around the door to her cabin. Twirling the handle to a side, she pushed the door open and entered with hurried steps, aiming at the table to get rid of the large files in her arms.

"I haven't thought about it I'm fucked Soph. I was supposed to take care of the meeting and because of those bastards I'm going to fucking pay for it. Conner isn't here and how are we going to explain this to out clients? Even if he flies from Dubai he'd never make it on time. That's it-he's going to fire me." Matt closed his eyes shut, drops of sweat covering her forehead.

Sophia looked at the man, her supposed friend who looked so timid and horrified in that moment. "I have a plan."

———————————————————

"Are you sure?"

"No. But we have no other option. Conner isn't here."

"No-Are you really sure of this?"

"No. But we're doing this."

"I have a bad feeling about this."

"I don't care. We're doing this."

"No."

"Yes! Now go!"
Sophia would firmly haul him forward causing Matt to bang against the door to their conference room. Gyrating his neck to over his shoulder he gave Sophia a pleading look which was let down by a harsh glare. "Move Matt!"

Matt took a deep sigh, before standing up straight and pulling down on his suit to get rid of all the creases. Placing his hand flat against the door he pushed it open and entered, with Sophia following behind him.

"Good afternoon, sorry to keep you waiting." She apologised as the duo made it's way up to the head of the table.

Matt nervously walked over to the the chair And settled down, little sweat drops forming over his forehead.
"Hello, I am Conner Manhattan, delighted to have you all present at such short notice."