Chapter Thirty One

Sophia ran towards her room, the sounds of her bare feet echoing inside the large hallway. Few men guarding various doors and hallways gave her a confused look. But instead of looking at them she chose ignore them and kept on walking. Her body was on fire, her cheeks flushed and she was sure feeling something funny in her stomach. 
She slammed the large wooden door shut behind her as she ran over to her bed and jumped in, instantly the soft mattress engulfed her in what looked like a hug.

"What was that!" She whispered, her slender fingers lightly brushing against her lips. She didn't know Conner had feelings for her, hell he was always so cold she almost thought she was a robot. And that smirk on his face today, it seemed like he had so many things going through his mind.

Suddenly her phone started ringing, breaking the line of her thoughts. She looked at the caller ID, "Unknown caller?" She frowned at the sudden call, it could be someone from work or it could be Richard?  But that coward won't have the guts to call her again after Conner chucked him into the prison last time.

"Hello?" She instantly picked up the call before the call got disconnected.

"Sophia?" A deep husky voice replied from the end. It wasn't Richard, she was sure of it.

"Whose this?"

"My apologies, I'm Salvador Diaz, your ex client?" She gasped internally, he was the man she first met in the club and then at office. He had also accused Conner of somethings happening that sane night. Also he was with Richard that day in the office. But why was he calling her? That too at this hour?

"Hello, Sophia are you there?"

"Oh yes, I-I am?"

He let out a deep throaty chuckle, "I'm sorry for calling you so late, but there's something I want to ask you" Sophia looked at the watch on the wall, it was almost 3. Her suspicion rose to another level, though the Manhattan's hated him she did not find him to be a bad person. They have met on few occasions before, he was always polite, something Conner could never be.

Woah woah woah! Where did the comparison come from?

"Sophia?"

"Oh I'm sorry. Just thinking, isn't this a little too late?"

"Yes, it is. But something bothered me and I couldn't wait. It's about Richard Morin"

Sophia stiffened, "What do you mean?"

There was shuffling in the other side of the phone, ''You see I am buying some of his shares from Mr. Manhattan since he owns almost all of them and also from Mr. Morin himself. In total i will have 40% of shares of his company and further I will invest in the company too. But what I want to know is, is that man  really worth my investment?" He let out a sigh, "Since I'm new here I do not have many friends associates. More enemies because I took over many companies but no body is willing to go against Richard and also, if I wanted to ask Conner for help he doesn't pick up my call. This investment is huge and I can not risk it in the hands of some loser. So I jist wanted to know you opinion on this, you know since you work for his company and know how other companies are"

Sophia frowned, this did not look like a solid reason to her. All this looked like was a lame excuse, but then she knew what he was talking about. New companies are often tricked into working with old ones, and nobody tells them the truth. So all in all, it looked like he was asking for genuine help because if he wanted, he could've come up with a lie if he wanted to. He's a goddamn business tycoon for heaven's sake. He's a master of manipulation. She pondered on his question for a few seconds, before replying honestly, "I think since all three of you are working together, large investment shouldn't be a problem. I personally do not trust that man," She could suddenly feel the anger building up inside her, but she had to keep calm. "But since Mr. Manhattan is involved, there is nothing to be really concerned about. Mr. Manhattan has recently brought all of his shares you know, so he's basically the owners of Richard's company. So you don't have to worry, if not Richard,  Mr. Manhattan can be trusted."