⊱Chapter 33 🗡Mother's Story⊰

Update 3 of 5. I am on a roll today!!! Hopefully you guys like it. This book has been my life's work and an ongoing project for more than 5 years. 

------------------------------------------------------

There was a companionable silence between us as we stalked through the corridors. Lady Aliwyn's eyes flicking over to mine every few seconds. It was only a matter of time before she broke the silence. "So what's the story?" Lady Aliwyn's voice rang out in the empty halls. Her blue eyes staring down at me as we continued to casually stroll down the corridors.

I was confused as to what she meant. My curiosity getting the better of me I decided to ask, "What are you referring to?" My head had cocked to the side of its own accord in confusion, my cheek slightly brushing against Serina's hard scales.

"The story of what happened between you and the King of course!" She bounced enthusiastically. "This is the first time I have ever seen him flying alone with a stranger. Usually he always has his right hand, well now left hand man, Bartholomew, with him. Since you shall be his right hand ma...err woman once you fulfill the position of King's Blade. He must really like you if he travelled here alone with you." Her blue eyes growing wide as her ears slightly twitched.

The notion of the King liking me even tolerating me was laughable making me snort out loud from the unlikeliness of it. "That is unlikely, Lady Aliwyn. I am sure he must hate me."

"How so, Lady Avian?"

"Avian is fine." Making her smile. "The first time I met the King I didn't know it was him. He had captured me and my companions. Locking us up in cages. However I as able to open them and escape with my companions in the night, out running him and his men."

She looked thoughtful as she contemplated, "It must be respect that he has for you then. After all not just anyone can get out of those magic proofed cages. I personally know, I tried and failed miserably." She giggled thinking back on the silliness of her past experience.

Trying suppress a smile I try to ask her in all seriousness, "Have you tried picking the locks or stealing the key, Lady Aliwyn?"

Her eyes went wide with horror, "I never thought of that! Man I can really be dumb at times. Call me Aliwyn, it is only fair since you allowed me to call you by your first name." She squeezed my arm in affection. "Any-who, here we are! This is the past Blade's room. Which is now yours, obviously." She indicated with a sweep of her free hand to a wooden door painted with a blue background and a purple dragon as the main feature.

Pushing the door open I take in the sight of the grand bedroom. "What's with the picture on the door?" I ask as I gaze about the room taking everything in. There was a huge four poster bed against the side of the room with a large shelf for books, a small armory, a nice sized closet, and a great deal of other things that looked as though they belonged to a princess.

The other side of the room contained a bed near the fireplace for a full sized dragon, including a door that they could enter or take off from. Serina had fluttered off from my shoulder to check out her new abode as she puffed out smoke from her nostrils with satisfaction.

"Oh it is just a way to identify whose room is whose. If you don't like the picture we can always have it changed." She quickly suggested her eyes filled a little bit with hurt.

"No, no, it is fine. In fact I love it! I was just wondering that's all." Still gazing around the room with contentment. "Thank you for showing me where my room was."

She looked relieved to hear I didn't hate the painting on the door, "Not a problem. You have your own bathroom and the library is down the hall can't miss it. After all the doors are have books painted onto them. If you need anything else my room is a few doors down with a picture of roses and trees painted onto it. The King's chambers are to the left of yours across the hall." Suddenly feeling tired I couldn't help but flop down onto the cozy looking bed. "What do you think you are doing, Avian!" Aliwyn yelled playfully at me.