⊱Chapter 17 🗡Mission One⊰

As Promised, the second chapter of the three part update. Enjoy to all the readers out there! Both new and old.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grabbing a cloak hanging on the back of a chair beside the bed, throwing it around my shoulders to help ward off the morning chill while on horseback. Striding out of the room with saddlebags in hand.

Glancing around the place once, a hallow feeling placed itself in the pit of my stomach. Father wasn't coming back anytime soon. Trying to shake the empty feeling I couldn't help but recite my father's motto, "A Blade is always the hunter never the hunted." the mantra that had been drilled into me since day one of my training.

When I was younger and my mother still lived he would smile with pride as I recited our mantra, before kissing me on the forehead saying, "That's my girl. Stay safe, try to come home soon." Then he would shoo me away.

Now the place was empty. No one to wait for me to come home, or wishing me a safe journey. All because I couldn't save my sister. It was all my fault. My family was broken because of me.

Swallowing the uneasiness growing inside I take the last step outside, closing the door behind me and walk away.

When I came upon the stables I realize I forgot to say goodbye to Camron, remembering I never told him that I was leaving to go on a mission. I wouldn't even be back for a while.

Luckily Sam happened to already be up tending to the horses. "Sam!" I waved him over to where I stood beside Zimra's stall, the saddlebags on the ground.

"What can I do for you?"

"Can you saddle up Zimra for me and attach these saddle bags? I am leaving for the northern part of the kingdom. I am supposed to meet my companions here but they haven't arrived yet and there is something very important I forgot to do." Explaining the situation to him, putting on my best smile.

"Not a problem. She shall be ready by the time you return."

"Thanks Sam! You are the best!" I call out behind me, already racing for Camron's house.

Scoping the area to make sure no one sees me standing in front of my mages house. I knock rather loudly to make sure I woke him so he would come to the door, it wasn't long before I heard the muffled sounds of someone stumbling around along with the bits of cursing.

The door opened to reveal Camron sleepy eyed, shirtless with messy hair sticking up in all directions. Voice gruff with sleep as he addressed me, "Avian, what are you doing here so early in the morning?"

Launching myself at him to crush Camron in a hug. Making him stumble a coupe steps backward as he caught me. "I am leaving for a while. I have been given a mission from the King personally. I have to travel to the northern part of the Kingdom along with three companions." My voice muffled as I buried my head into his chest, his arms still caging me against him.

Camron's voice became clearer as my message gave him a wakeup call. "Who are your three companions?"

"Bao, Dax and my best friend Jake, who is a soldier in the King's royal guard." Camron's arms tightened further around me at the mention of my two betroths.

After a moment he sighed and loosened his hold, "I guess there is no help for it. It was the King's order after all. I know how you are about those kinds of things. Stay safe for me." A slight tremble echoed in his tone.

Lifting my gaze to his, I asked him in all seriousness, "Will you do something for me?" He nodded briefly before urging me to continue what I wanted to ask of him. "Will you wait for me? No matter how long it takes."