⊱Chapter 8🗡Courting Disaster⊰

YAY!!!! A double update!!! Woot Woot!!! XD This was originally part of the previous chapter but as you can see I have made it its own chapter. I hope you guys enjoy the edits to the story I have made. Onwards!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bao attempted several more times to flirt but I chose to completely ignore his presence beside me. Finally arriving at our attended destination I accept the driver's hand graciously as he helps me out of the carriage. Without waiting for Bao I ascend the stair case into the mansion.

When a servant had taken the cloak off from my shoulders Bao had finally caught up to me. "Why didn't you wait for me?" He whispered furiously.

Uh oh, maybe flirting back will get me out of trouble. "Oh, I am so sorry. It was just really cold outside that I hurried inside without thinking." Batting my eyelashes at him while feeling absolutely ridiculous at my poor attempt of flirting.

"It's a-it's alright I guess." Bao sputtered at my sudden turn of behavior. "Come it is time for our arrival to be announced

He guided me to a set of stairs that led down into the ballroom. As Bao whispered something to the announcer I took the moment to look around. In a corner off to the side were the musicians having a grand time performing, and all around were swirling colors of ladies dresses while the men wore decorated suits. Placed in the back of the room were a few tables completely filled with refreshments and snacks.

Bao took my hand then proceeded towards the edge of the staircase. "Presenting King's Blade Apprentices Bao of the Fallforth Kingdom and Avian Ravenwood of our fair kingdom, Kaaemond." All heads snapped up in our direction at the mention of our names. Before descending the stairs I curtsied as gracefully as I could, while Bao bowed.

Whispers started fluttering around as we continued to descend into the room. With so many gazes on us I felt heat rise up into my cheeks. Get a hold of yourself Avian, do not let them see how much they are affecting you. When we finally have reached the bottom a hoard of people start swarming around us, almost knocking me off balance. "Your ladyship I am a great admirer of yours. Your skills are legendary here in our town." A woman who looked to be in her thirties gushed as she approached me.

"Thank you, you do me a great honor with you compliment. But I assure you my skills are nowhere near legendary." I tell her with a smile gracing my lips, one of which she reciprocated.

"Lady Avian, it is a pleasure to have you here tonight." One of the gentleman butted in with a deep baritone of a voice.

"Thank you for having me invited, your grace." I nodded my head at him in a respectful gesture.

"Oh please, no formalities. It makes me feel old. It must have come as quite a shock when you were chosen." He continued on.

Caught off by his statement that sounded like a question I hesitantly answered, "Yes, it was. I did not expect to be chosen as the next King's Blade."

"No I meant a shock for your sister. You know for you to be picked over her. Of course we all knew that that was going to happen. I mean your skills far exceed her own." He stated bluntly with a hint of coldness.

"How do you know how our skills compare? Not many have seen me fight."

"Easy, I am one of those few who have seen your skills at fighting. I often come to the castle to discuss business with the King. Most often when I look out the windows I can observe you during your lessons." That is just plain creepy.