⊱Chapter 27 🗡Chosen Future ⊰

This is the second part of the three part update. I made quite a few changes from the first draft. Please let me know what you think. 

---------------------------------------------------

Humming my content as a response I see the stables coming up as we drew closer to the castle. Tom came out to take Zimra's reins from my hands, holding her in place as I dismounted from the saddle. When I jumped down I was shocked that the inside of my thighs were severely sore, it must have been caused by riding on the hard scales of Serina's back during our initial bonding.

Entering my home I am once again reminded I am all alone. No father, or sister, or mother to come home to. No one to tell how I was successful in fully forming the bond with the missing piece of my soul. Serina, who was starting to wiggle around a little bit to adjust to a more comfortable position, pulled me back from the dark thoughts beginning to cloud my mind. Focusing my attention back to the room I resided in.

On one of the tables was a note with my name at the top. Picking it up I recognize the handwriting as Camron's. It seems he had come by earlier, he was coming to fetch me for training.

I release the straps to my bags, letting them fall to the floor with a resounding thud. Turning on my heel I re-exit the cottage. Gliding past the soldier training grounds I enter through the entrance of the Mage practice fields. A place I haven't been in what seems an eternity ago. A lone figure stands in one of the many practice rings, going through the motions taught to him by his masters. Expertly manipulating his element.

Watching him for a few more moments I was just about to clear my throat announcing my presence, when he spoke without turning around to face me, "I thought you weren't going to come." Turning around to look at me, he held me in place with the sheer intensity held within his eyes. "Where have you been?" A hard edge hidden within his voice, no longer holding the warmth I was used to. Taking me aback at his behavior.

Hiding my unease I smile weakly at him, I knew I couldn't just tell him the truth of what had happened. I really wanted to, don't get me wrong, but something kept stopping me. I just couldn't bring myself to tell him of what had occurred, how it had transformed my soul. "Something urgent came up that I had to take care of. But I am back now." I walked a few steps towards him, stopping a few feet away. "Where were you when I returned earlier yesterday?"

He slightly turned his head away from me as he broke our eye contact, "Nowhere important." He waved off my question. My eyes went wide from disbelief. He just brushed me off! I can't believe he just did that. Of course I did the exact same thing so I really shouldn't be the one to talk, but it still hurt.

"You are over thinking it. Maybe he has a reason for not telling you. Just as you have a reason not to tell him. If he knew about our bondage that is information that could unintentionally place him in greater danger. Or give him unknown power over us. Now calm down." Serina tried reasoning with me. She was correct, this isn't something to get completely upset about. Taking a deep breath, I slowly let it out while letting the anger flow out of me with a slight shudder.

"Shall we work on hindering a mage's ability of using their element while in battle?" Camron continued on, probably not noticing my brief sputter of anger.

"Sure, I could use a bit of challenge." I slightly taunt him as I walk further into the ring. Taking up my adopted fighting position when using my elements. My feet slightly set apart, ready to go in whichever direction is needed in any moment. My hands held up at chest height while the palms were slightly turned out.

Camron took up a similar pose as me, both of us waiting on the other to make the first move. The air surrounding me suddenly grew very thick to the point where it was almost suffocating. Camron had struck first, using almost invisible movements. You could hardly see his movement with his hands but they were there as if his hands were almost unnoticeably trembling.