⊱Chapter 38 🗡All or Nothing⊰

Welcome to part 3 of the 5 part update. I hope you enjoy the chapter!

--------------------------------------------------

The next morning I rose earlier than usual. After dressing, I let my lazy side take over by perching in a chair to watch the sun come up. The world around slowly beginning to wake.

Lost in thought I didn't hear the person at the door until heavier thumping resounded against the door, forcing myself to awaken from my thoughts to find the sun had risen high into the sky.

Opening the door to find Elysia and Neiska on the other side. "I don't know what Aliwyn was complaining about when she said that you weren't the best morning person. You seem fine to me." Elysia monologued under her breath.

Neiska chuckled lightly, "You also forget that Aliwyn is unbearably perky in the mornings. Avian is probably more like us when it comes to mornings after being woken."

Elysia nodding along absent mindedly, "True." Her attention focusing back on me. "Well you going to stand there all day or are we going to breakfast?" Smiling I step out into the hallway about to close the door when a series of squeaks are emitted. A panicked Serina scurried through the door.

"Sorry Serina. I was going to let you sleep in today." Scooping the miniaturized dragon into my arms and shutting the door behind us. Smoke delicately curled out of her nose as she glared, giving me the silent treatment. "I'll feed you some more of that meat you like for breakfast." I bribed, knowing full well that she would cave for her favorite treat.

She fixed an amethyst eye on my face as she mulled over my offer, "I guess you are forgiven." Purring emanating from her chest as she laid her head on my arm.

We gradually made our way to the dining area where the rest of our group was waiting. "It seems as though Serina is extremely attached to you. Riley is nowhere near that sticky." Neiska giggled.

"I believe it is due to us bonding late. I didn't even know I was a dragon rider until very recently." I let the information slip casually.

"Then how did you know you were a magic user?" Elysia inquired as we sat down at the group's table. Placing our plates on the table before taking a seat.

Serina slipped from my arm to my lap as I gave her a piece of the meat off from the plate, taking it from my hand gently. "About a year ago the head mage back at my former home had called upon me. Naturally curious I answered to his summons. Apparently he accidently found out that I had an aptitude for magic. He was the one who taught me everything I know. Back then I thought I was just another mage." Taking a bite of my breakfast as my stomach rumbled.

"Is it true that you were able to escape from the King's cages?" Zander asked from my left side. The others waiting with baited breath, all except for Aliwyn that is.

"Oh, it's true alright." A familiar voice spoke as they took the seat on my right slinging an arm around my shoulders in the process.

I glanced up from my breakfast, asking in a teasing tone, "How would you know, Kenai? I thought you were stuck in that dungeon until I freed you." Though I was curious as to how he knew of what I did in the past.

"Of course I was. You just forget that I am bound to Hakeem. By the way, the trick you pulled to get the key was flawless. I can't believe he didn't notice it. Truth be told I was laughing the entire time. The best part was when he went to check on you only to find two empty cages. At the time he was angry but also quite impressed with a hint of amusement. There was also the part where you vanished into thin air that had him wallowing in confusion. But his respect for you had grown immensely." Kenai narrated, his arm vibrating on my shoulders from his laughter.