⊱Chapter 37 🗡Magical Challenges⊰

Hello again!!!! The challenges for Avian are about to come to an end. Hang on just hang on a bit longer. Thank you for sticking with the book this long!!

--------------------------------------------------------

Shouts from the crowd that had gathered, as it was larger than yesterdays, increased as they saw Serina coming over the tree tops. Landing I searched among the crowd for King Hakeem, finding him by one of the practice rings that were clearly marked.

Jumping off from Serina's back I stepped into the crowd that parted like a wave retreating from the shore. He raised an eyebrow as I approached. Extending the flag out for him to take, "I believe this is what you wanted." Shying away after he takes the flag from my hands.

"I guess now that you accomplished this we shall move onto the next thing. Public combat. Magic only. These are your opponents." He gestured to the five people standing inside the circle. "These are the best magic users I have." Assessing each and every one, I couldn't help but notice that Frea was among them. So she escaped her imprisonment after all. Gritting her teeth as her glare promised payback tenfold. "You will face each individually. You win when they can no longer use magic, they are knocked out of this ring or unconscious."

Nodding my understanding I enter into the ring. Finding the familiar fighting stance comforting. One of the two men moved to walk towards me but Frea beat him as she ran further into the circle creating flames with her hands. "You are going to pay for what you did to me back there! It took forever for another to get me out." She screamed as her eyes blazed with fury. The flames on her hands growing hotter and larger with her increased rage.

I smirk at her before shaking my head in a teasing manner knowing I was getting under her skin and she was unraveling fast. "Of Frea, Frea, Frea. What did I tell you about your temper?" I mocked her further. The crowed confused as they watched the exchange. Her face growing red from anger.

With a warrior's cry she shot out streaming flames. Twirling in the air to follow up a second round of flames from her feet.

Lifting a single hand I swiped it in an arc in front of me, earth rising up to stop the flames with a loud resounding swoosh. I let the stone wall drop so I could stare into Frea's eyes as I trapped her without her knowing, taking a stance.

Frea's breathing was harsh and labored after projecting a least a dozen balls of flames towards me. Trying and failing to hit on target with just one, "You will wish that you had never humiliated me. I won't allow you to do it again!" Rage pouring out as she pointed an accusing finger.

"Too late." Grinning like a cat who caught the mouse as my wind blades hurtled towards her. While she crossed her arms to protect herself from the low powered blades my foot arced in a sweeping motion over the grass beneath my feet. The earth coming up to encase her form as the winds died down. "Once again trapped." Her screams of resentment flowing out of her mouth as she cursed me to the depths of hell. "One down." Pushing out my hands I moved the newly entrapped Frea to outside of the circle.

Leaving her there while the man who first wanted to face me walked into the circle. "Are you ever not going to fall for that, Frea?" The man laughed as he watched her struggle, his gaze darting to me. "I mean this girl is new and all but she figured out your weakness pretty quickly."

"Shut up and help me out of this Valder!" Frea screamed in frustration mixed equally with humiliation. She struggled pointlessly. If she continued she would eventually run out of energy.

"Nah, I think I will leave you there. Besides, I have a fight to concentrate on." Valder smiled cheekily. From what I could gather he was an earth user. He took up a stance I recognized from my lessons with Balthazar, imitating the strength of a deep rooted tree not so easily knocked down or moved.