⊱Chapter 40 🗡The King's Blade ⊰

The final chapter of Hidden Kingdom is now up. Thank you so much for taking this journey with me. I hope you enjoyed the story. 

-----------------------------------------------

A slight wind caught my attention as it blew gently against my face along with the familiar scent of pine filling my nose, letting me know we had made it outside. Only opening my eyes when I hear the advancement of footsteps. "Oh my goodness! Avian! Are you alright?" Dax gasped coming out from the shadows of the trees. Gently taking me out from Nissim's arms, that were now coated with blood. Jake following behind asking the same question. Horses saddled pawing the ground behind them.

"I'll be alright. Serina is slowly mending the wounds. Though Bao caused extensive damage." Gritting my teeth against the pain from all the jostling of our group heading further into the woods.

The sounds of wings flapping silenced my thoughts as I glanced up into the sky. Our whole group stopping in their tracks at the sight of four dragons descending from the night sky to surround us.

King Hakeem sitting proud on the back of Kenai. His expression becoming angry as he took note of all the wounds on my blood soaked form. Hopping off from Kenai he rushed to my side, "What happened?"

I wince as pain suddenly lanced through my back, "Captured after freeing my family. Prince Nissim got me out. Slowly healing, unable to fly. Serina too weak from healing the more severe wounds inflicted."

His gaze flickered up to land on my family. "I am assuming this is your family you were so desperate to save."

"Yes this is my family." I slightly nod. "This is my best friend Jake, Dax my former fiancé, and Prince Nissim the rightful ruler of Kaaemond." I point to the respective person I introduced. "Nissim will have to come with us. He needs protection now that Bao is after his head. It isn't safe to linger. It would be best if we left immediately, my King." The group staring at the King of Dragons in disbelief.

King Hakeem carefully took me out of Dax's arms, and carried me over to Kenai. Being extra cautious climbing onto his back with me in his arms. The others awkwardly situating themselves behind the other riders on their dragons.

The forest seemed too quiet. "I don't like this." The King quirked his brow. "It's quiet. Too quiet." I turn my head to stare into the forest.

Asif summoned Bao stepped out of the shadows with armed guards pointing their bows at us. "Did you really think it would be that easy to escape me?"

"One can hope." I mutter quietly. The wind carrying my words to his ears, judging by the scowl now adorning his features.

"Don't start with me, Avian. Now if you would kindly return my bride to be, I will be killing all of you and taking your dragons for my own." Bao chuckled as he signaled his men.

King Hakeem narrowed his eyes at the man standing in our way of freedom, "I don't think so." The dragons as if signaled breathed streaks of flames together making the soldiers duck for cover. Giving the dragons enough time to climb into the sky away from the range of the arrows.

Even though my body yearned to fall into oblivion once more I couldn't look away from my King as he kept his eyes trained forward. "Why did you come? I specifically told you not to." I mutter refusing to look away.

His eyes found mine as he gave a crooked smile, "You really think I would let you go alone? I can't let you have all the fun. Plus it is a good thing I didn't listen to you. How did this happen?"

Shaking my head I couldn't believe I let myself get bested, "I got ambushed from behind while trying to protect my family. King Moddox had set the trap. Of course I knew it was a trap when I went in. Though I didn't expect to get hit from behind. I woke up later chained. Bao killed Moddox and then proceeded to torture me endlessly for information that I never gave him. Nissim probably doesn't know his father is dead. Bao had guards drag the body out during some point." Adding on as an afterthought more to myself, "I hate feeling weak." A tear rolling down my dirtied face.