⊱Chapter 20 🗡Hostage Situation⊰

Hello and welcome back!!!!!! If you are here that means you have probably just finished the first part of the four part update!!! This chapter is dedicated to Tooncesthedishwasher for their helpful comment in one of my chapters bringing my attention to an error in my writing and for adding my book to their reading list. Rest assured I will eventually fix that error, probably in my next run through of editing. Now onto the next chapter!

------------------------------------------------------------

After confirming that the two boys were okay I examine our surroundings more closely. Coming face to face with the man who knocked me out with just a few words squatting in front of the cage. "You were having a nightmare." It wasn't a question as he extracted his overly warm hand from my shoulder where it had been previously resting. Pulling it out from between the bars of the cage.

Though he said it as a statement I had the need to answer it, like it was something I had to answer. "Yes." My voice came out raspy holding a hollowness.

The answer made him frown as he continued to study me. Before asking the question that echoed through his eyes he cocked his head to the side causing his bangs to partially shield his gaze. "What of?"

I sighed as I slightly shook my head having an internal battle within myself. One side stated there was no need to lie to this stranger about my nightmare. It had nothing to do with my mission. The other not wanting to revel any weakness to a possible enemy. "My sister died and I keep seeing her in my dreams. She torments me." The words choked out ad choppy as they bubbled from deep down in my throat. But a sudden weight lifted from my chest as I finally told someone what had been plaguing me. I hadn't even told my father or Camron about my nightmares.

The man's smile gave off a warmth I had not known in a long time, "Not anymore. After tonight you are free." With that he stood up to turn away. My eyebrows furrowed from confusion, what had he meant?

Puzzled at his words I realize that my shoulder where he placed his hand to shake me awake still throbbed with warmth and tingles. "What did you do to me? Are you a mage?" His long legs carrying him several strides away. Ignoring my questions or he wasn't inclined to answer them. "Wait!" He paused for a brief moment. Half turning his head my direction. "Why am I here? What do you want with me?"

I held my breath as I waited for his answer. His head tilted once more to the side as his voice rang out clearly in the night, "My boss was curious about you. He wanted us to retrieve you and I obeyed. However I have no clue as to the intentions he has for you." After answering the questions he disappeared into the darkness.

While I waited for my companions to wake I felt that the man had spoken in half truths. As he talked there had been a slight quiver to his voice as if he weren't completely accustomed to lying. I would know all too well as it had become an advantage to have grown up surrounded by people in the court ranging in different skill levels in lying.

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts from the mysterious man I turn my attention on how to get out of this mess. First off, I would have to figure out how to bust us out of these cages as silently as possible. My first option was to use magic to unlock the door, if that failed then I would have to locate the key.

The key would most likely be with the leader of this group or the second in command. Groans from the other cage had my head snapping up from where I seemed to be having a stare down with the ground. Surprised I hadn't felt myself zone out.

Jake and Dax struggled to fully awaken. Sitting back not bothering to call out until one of them took notice of me. Dax managed to snap out of his reverie first. Calling out to me in what could have been classified as a whisper yell, "Avi are you alright? What happened?"