⊱Chapter 39 🗡Nightmare Calling⊰

Welcome to the second to the last chapter. I can't believe I got through all of the book. It may have taken me a long time but I finally did it. Onto the chapter!

---------------------------------------------------

Serina glided into our room a couple minutes later. Not able to walk the distance to my bed I slide off her back to land softly on her massive bed. The room doused in complete darkness when Serina laid her wing over where I lay making it easy for me to drift to sleep.

Though my dreams were far from pleasant. As I dreamt Dax was ambushed when walking alone. He gave it his all but the tide of the fight was completely out of his favor. Until Jake came to his rescue. For a bit they were winning until they were overwhelmed by another wave of soldiers. Losing the fight they were tied up and knocked out, and were dragged off into the dingy tunnels of the dungeon.

The dream changed to inside of the dungeons where Jake and Dax hung from various chains. Blood dripping in small streams from different wounds that had been inflicted. A figure cloaked in shadow hid in the corner watching the torture in sadistic glee. I screamed for the guards to cease their activities and tried to push them away from my family, only to go unheard and unable to touch.

Waking in a cold sweat as another scream ripped through my vocal cords, accidently waking Serina as she lifted her wing to glance at me in question. "Serina, I have a terrible feeling in my gut." Quickly rising and explaining the dream as I frantically tore through my bags searching for the speaking stone. Serina had to remind me that I had left both behind as we had no reason to keep them any longer as father had gone AWOL. "Serina we have to make contact with either Dax or Jake. This is going to severely drain our energy, but I have to make sure they are alright."

"I understand. Let's do so quickly to put your mind at ease." Placing our foreheads together our energies combined, extending our consciousness out in search of my friends.

The stress mounted the further we backtracked over the land we had traveled over. Flitting through space until we were met with a familiar consciousness. They surroundings misty, as I cannot make out where Dax is being held, if it is indeed the dungeon. "Dax." I called out to him. His consciousness spiking in fear and panic at the invasion of his mind. "Dax, it is me. Avian." Trying to sooth him back into peace so he wouldn't accidently force us out, breaking the connection.

Hesitantly he spoke back, "Avian? Is that really you?" His thoughts a mere whisper due to the distance between us.

"Yes, it is really me. Are you and Jake alright? I had a dream las night that you were captured."

"That part is true. We were ambushed and thrown into the dungeon. We were betrayed, the King became furious at our deception. As punishment we were captured and beaten. He is hoping word will get back to you so he can capture you as well."

My breath caught in my throat. "I promise, I will do whatever it takes to get you guys free and away from his control."

"No! Do not come. That is exactly what Moddox wants." A faint echo of chains rattling came across the connection as Dax protested.

"I don't care!" I slightly shake my head even though he couldn't see. "You are that is left of my family. My father abandoned me, my sister and mother are dead. You and Jake are all I have left in this world. I have to save you!"

"There is no changing your mind is there?" Dax sighed in exasperation at my stubborn headedness.

"No there is not." I hummed in agreement.