⊱Chapter 3 🗡Surprises⊰

YAY! The next part! Hopefully you like this chapter as well. I won't hold you any longer.

____________________________________________________________________

The sounds of twigs snapping and breaking under boots drifted ahead of the owner of the noises. Quieting my breathing I wait patiently for my prey to fall into the waiting trap. "I really thought she would be on that other trail left behind. Never thought that she would be so obvious. It's really disappointing actually." Bao whispered words drifted up to my hiding place.

"You never know. She might actually surprise you. I know she definitely surprised me." Dax stated sourly. I could just imagine the scowl on his face from being stuck with Bao.

Bao lightly scoffed at Dax's rebuttal, "I highly doubt it."

"Well so far she is winning." I could feel the smugness filling Dax's tone as tried and succeeded to get onto Bao's nerves.

Bao hissed in frustration, "Not for long she isn't."

"You never know." Dax retorted in a singsong voice.

"That is it! Shut up about how you think she is going to win. No female is going to win at a game that I thought of. Especially no female King's Blade Apprentice." Bao growled. So he had something against females well I am going to make him eat his words, then we shall see who the better hunter is.

"Fine. I'll shut up."

Bao turned around and trudged on ahead through the foliage. Just a little closer. Almost there, I mentally urged him. "She must have been really confused. Look at this. Her footprints are all over the place." Dax snorted but remained silent. Come on. One more step!

As if he followed my mental advice he took that one last fatal step that caused the trap to spring. He stumbled toward the first X that I had marked in the ground, as soon as he touched it I silently sprang from my hiding place. Hurdling my body through the air until I landed on Bao's back.

Bringing up my dagger I hold it against his throat while his face is pressed against the second X. The one that I had carved into the tree. "Perfect place for his face. Don't you think Dax?" I glance over my shoulder, shooting Dax a quick wink.

Dax slapped his knee in glee as he laughed heartily, "I think it would look better on the ground. Told you so Bao." Smugness ringing throughout his tone.

I contemplated Dax's comment for a second as I slightly frowned, "Mmmmm, too late now. Anyway what were you just saying a minute ago Bao? That a female couldn't win your little game especially me and that I am incapable of surprising you? Do you feel that way now Bao?" Letting sugary sweetness coat my sarcastic tone as I pushed him further up against the tree.

He struggled to free himself but it was futile, I had him pinned firmly in place. "No!" He wheezed out.

Grinning at his misery I couldn't help but harass him a bit more. "Good just to be clear. I won this game fair and square. Correct?"

"Yes!"

"Now just to be clear. What is all that has transpired?"

"You won. I will keep my end of the bargain."

"Good boy." I said as I got off from his back. "Now just to be clear you will not push any kind of advance onto me without my consent. Are we clear?" I lifted an eyebrow as I cocked my hip against a tree. Waiting for his response.

"Crystal." He picked himself up off the ground to dust himself off. "You are one tough woman. They should call you a Panther for you pounce like one." He noted as he nodded to himself.

Laughing I tell the two hunters standing beside me, "That is actually my nickname among many of the Knights in the Kingdom." Feeling eyes was watching us, I turned in a circle. Carefully searching the area but didn't see anything giving me an uneasy feeling. "Now by your leave gentlemen I think we should get out of these woods. I have the feeling that we are being watched."

Both hunters looked around trying to spot any danger. But like me they didn't find anything unusual or out of place among the trees. You couldn't be too careful for not everything is at it appears. The boys leading the way to where they had tied up their horses. I whistled two notes, signaling Zimra to come to me. Soon she came out of the bushes and trotted straight to me.

Climbing up into our saddles, we ride off like there were wolves chasing our tails. When we neared the edge of the forest near the castle Bao and Dax excused themselves from my presence, both riding off toward the city. Bao not wanting to be near me I understood perfectly but Dax? What did I ever do to him? Well besides scaring the living day lights out of him.

After walking Zimra to her stall I quickly stripped off her tack then gave her a good rub down before serving her dinner. Making sure she was taken care of before putting away her tack and walking up to the cottage.

As I entered the cottage everything seemed to be quiet but that was to be expected. I went to go lay down on my bed when I noticed a piece of paper on my pillow. Looking closely at it I realized it was a note from my father.

Dear Avian,

Your presence is requested in the Ballroom immediately. Please hurry.

Always,

                        Your Father

That didn't sound good. Something could be insanely wrong. Running through the corridors and not seeing a single soul caused my heart to pick up its pace as I came closer to the Ballroom. What happened? Is anyone hurt? Those two thoughts kept rolling through my mind as I pushed the heavy Ballroom door open.

No one was there when I walked in which set me on high alert. "Hello? Father? Is everyone okay?" No response. Okay this is just getting more suspicious by the minute. Taking out a few of my trusty knives from my belt I stalk around the room as quiet as possible.

"Surprise!" People screamed from behind me. My pulse skyrocketed as I whipped around ready to throw my knives at the intruders. I almost did before I saw who had shouted from behind me.

Glaring at the party of people who had shouted, "Geeze you guys! I almost tried to kill you. Why would you do that to me? What is going on father?" Lifting my face up to looking into my father's expressionless eyes.

He gave me a small smile that had me reeling, though it didn't reach his eyes. He NEVER smiled! "It's not every day that my little girl turns 17. So they roped me into throwing a little surprise party for you." He gestured to our friends standing around us.

I let out a sigh of relief, "In the note you made it seem like someone was attacking the Castle and taking over." Glancing behind my father I smiled at all of my beloved friends. Some I haven't seen in a while, "It is so good to see everyone again. I thought you were all out on assignments." Glancing at each in turn.

"We were but we had to come and see our favorite girl on her special day." My Uncle Destan retorted. They weren't blood related but the people surrounding me were my family in every sense of that word. I knew I could depend on them in any situation as I trusted them with my life. The only real family that I had besides my father and sister was my Aunt Margret.

Who, thankfully wasn't among the group of people surrounding me. But she would most likely make an appearance knowing her. "Come Avi. We have come baring gifts." My Aunt Radina cooed as she pulled me over to one of the many chairs in the room.

 _____________________________________________________________________

Now you have read part two of three! Please comment and let me know what you think so far about the edited version. Onto part three! On wards to victory! XD